How to create the perfect summer bucket list

266
A student jumps off a cliff.
Mike Swindle jumps off of a mountainside in Petra, Jordan. Traveling and adrenaline rushes make great additions to any bucket list.

Summer is the perfect time for students to experience all the things students wished they could do during the school year. A summer bucket list is the best way to organize time and becomes an outline of the summer students would like to have.

1.  Write it down.

Writing a bucket list down will encourage students to move forward in completing it. Written items become goals, and goals hold people accountable.

Sara LeCheminant, a junior from Sandy studying international cultures at BYU—Hawaii, began talking about exciting things to put on a bucket list back in middle school. It wasn’t until she went to college that she decided it would be more productive to start writing out her ideas.

“I realized that if I actually wrote down on a physical list what I wanted to do, I’d be more likely to actually do them,” LeCheminant said. “So that’s when I first made my bucket list, and I have been adding on to it and crossing things off ever since.”

2.  Make it a group effort.

Students can get others involved and ask for ideas. Experiences are more memorable and enjoyable when shared with close friends or family members. Discussing a bucket list with others will increase both the number and the diversity of possibilities.

Senior Jessica Johnson, from Nampa, Idaho, is studying exercise science and is an avid proponent of summer bucket lists. She has more than 70 items she has put together with friends. She said she doesn’t want to spend each night wondering what to do alone.

“I have many friends that I have involved in my list,” Johnson said. “That way I can do a wide variety of things.”

3.  Get out of your comfort zone.

Stepping outside of one’s comfort zone provides greater opportunities and more unique experiences than one would otherwise have.

Political science major and senior Ryan Wallace, from Idaho Falls, first created his bucket list in ninth grade. His list is separated into three categories: things he wants to try, places he wants to go and traits he wants to have.

“If I had only written things I would be comfortable doing, it probably would have only said, ‘read books and play tennis,'” Wallace said. “But because my bucket list has always had things that get me out of my comfort zone, I’ve tried things like long-boarding, or rock-climbing and found that I love them.”

4.  Take pictures!

Photographs save memories. It is important to document adventures. Looking back on past experiences encourages individuals to continue to try new things and add additional items to the list. It may also inspire other people to make a bucket list of their own.

“You should take pictures,” Wallace said. “Imagine leaving your kids a giant list of all the cool things you tried and accomplished with a giant photo album to go with it. I can’t wait to do that.”