BYU students and alumni to be featured during Provo Fashion Week

349
Follow us on Twitter @UniverseBYU and Instagram @universebyu for live updates during Fashion Week.

Bright lights, long runways and BYU’s fashion community will come together for Provo Fashion Week Feb. 24–March 3 as independent fashion designers meet up to showcase their hard work and collaborate with others in the industry.

Provo Fashion Week began in spring 2014 as a semi-annual event to celebrate the fashion industry and local designers. Although there have only been two consecutive shows, the event has already seen tremendous growth and success.

“Our first runway event had 18 local independent fashion designers, 150-plus models and almost 800 attendees,” said Bree Wilkins, co-producer of Provo Fashion Week, BYU graduate and owner of the custom design company, Bree Lena. “Since then, we have received an overwhelming amount of interest and support — the fall lineup included 23 designers, 300-plus models and over 1,450 guests.”

Since the event is held in Provo, several of the designers in this year’s shows are either BYU graduates or current BYU students, as featured below:

Puglisi’s collection includes many unique items like this backpack. (Aaron Puglisi)
Aaron Puglisi is the designer and co-owner of Tessel Supply. (Aaron Puglisi)

Aaron Puglisi, BYU graduate, designer and co-owner of Tessel Supply

Q: What’s your BYU degree?
A: “I studied industrial design.”

Q: How did you get interested in fashion and design?
A: “I’ve always enjoyed making and designing things. But I was an art major at BYU—Idaho when I learned what industrial design was. That was when I realized that it would be the only job for me.”

Q: How would you describe your style?
A: “My design style is clean, modern, futuristic, technical and a little bit playful.”

Q: What is your ultimate goal as far as your fashion line is concerned?
A: “I want to be able to make a living while designing the products I love. I want to be able to make great quality products that will last.”

Chylie Garner, BYU student

Garner gives a hint of what her collection will be like with the shirt she is currently working on. (Chylie Garner)
Chylie Garner is currently a BYU student working on her senior capstone project. (Chylie Garner)

Q: BYU degree?
A: “I am currently studying family studies.”

A: “I became interested in fashion back in high school. When I was about 16 I started putting more focus into what I wore and had fun with mixing things up and being creative with my clothes. It was then that I learned how much I loved fashion. I then took a class in high school, where I learned the basics of everything fashion, including design, and it quickly became my favorite class. It was in this class when I gained an immense love for fashion and decided that I wanted to make it a permanent part of my future.”

Q: How would you describe your style?
A: “I would describe my style as a bit whimsical. I love to play with pattern and color, which you will see a lot of in my collection.”

A: “This collection is my senior capstone project and with it, I hope to make my first step towards making a career in the fashion industry.”

Michelle Whitaker, BYU student

This elephant sweatshirt is what inspired Whitaker to get into fashion design. (Michelle Whitaker)
Michelle Whitaker is currently a BYU student and the owner of the Etsy store, Cliché Creativity. (Michelle Whitaker)

Q: What’s your BYU degree?
A: “I am studying technology and engineering education with an emphasis in multimedia.”

A: “My mother has been sewing since she was young, so she would make me clothes here and there throughout my childhood. When I was older, she taught me how to sew, and we would work together to design and sew clothes. However, it was not until I stumbled upon Provo Fashion Week on Kickstarter last summer that I realized that I could be a real fashion designer. I have never done anything like this before, but I have enjoyed the challenge.”

Q: How would you describe your style?
A: “My style is simple in construction but bold and playful in design. This collection will feature striking African prints and fun safari animals.”

A: “My ultimate goal is to continue to expand my Etsy store, Cliché Creativity, and keep on creating.”

The event will be held in the Provo City Library Ballroom. More information and an event schedule can found at www.provofashionweek.com/. For additional updates and sneak peeks, follow Provo Fashion Week on Facebook and Instagram.