Truly deserving it

187

When I was in third grade, it was the greatest desire of my heart to win the 100-yard dash in my school’s annual field day. I worked hard for that race. I was so happy when I crossed the finish line in first place. After finishing, I noticed that my principal was handing out “everybody is a winner” ribbons to every participant. You can imagine my anger as I realized that I was not being recognized for all of my hard work. In reality, not everybody is a winner, and it is time that children were taught such.

First, children should be taught that the real world selects real winners and real losers. Not everybody can get a full-ride scholarship to Harvard or become an NBA basketball star. Second, if a child doesn’t have to do anything to be a winner, why should he or she put forth more effort? Society is currently teaching our children that they don’t need to work. It is important for children to know that hard work pays off.

Third, teaching our children that losing is more educational than winning helps our children to become better people. Losing isn’t a bad thing; it is a strong motivation to become better.

Children must learn that winning isn’t something that is given to them on a silver platter. It requires hard work and dedication. Society must change its coddling ways if we want future generations to be successful.

Mikaela Cook
Orem