BYU women’s basketball roars past Pepperdine

296
Elliott Miller
Lexi Eaton shoots against Pepperdine. (Elliott Miller)

Jeff Judkins tallied his 300th win as the women’s basketball head coach when the Cougars beat Pepperdine Feb. 5.

“I wouldn’t be sitting here tonight if it wasn’t for the great players I’ve had,” Judkins said. “I’ve been lucky to have players who learn to adapt with what I tell them and get better each year.”

Lexi Eaton scored 37 of the Cougars’ 77 points and had 14 rebounds. Morgan Bailey had 12 points with eight rebounds and Makenzi Morrison had 10 points, five assists. Kylie Maeda had eight of the Cougars’ 23 total assists.

The first half was back and forth. With 6:50 left Bailey got into foul trouble, and Judkins pulled her out. Micalee Orton came into the game to replace Bailey and connected with Eaton on a couple of fast breaks.

“I knew that they could not keep up with Orton because of her speed,” Eaton said. The Cougars went up 36-26 at the end of the first half.

A couple of fast breaks fired up the Cougars coming out of the half as they went on a 12-4 point run.

“We got the fast breaks going, and I think that got us the edge,” Judkins said. “Orton came in and did great. She really runs the floor well.”

Bailey came in the second half and continued to push hard to get to the basket. She received a bounce pass from Xojian Harry and completed a reverse layup with seven minutes left in the game.

“It was tough for me to keep attacking, but Judd just told me to keep going,” Bailey said. “We go out and give it all we’ve got, and it’s nice when we are successful.”