Haws hype

193

While Jimmer-mania is a thing of the past as Tyler Haws begins his senior year of basketball, fans expect big things from him.

When you put their career averages side by side, Jimmer and Tyler have more in common than you might think.

Their sophomore and junior years share similar numbers in stats, ranging from points per game to 3-point percentages. Haws is less than 500 points away from crushing Jimmer’s record of 2,599 career points, and the season has only just begun. But no matter how much attention he gets, he doesn’t let it go to his head.

“I can’t take all the credit, I’ve got to give all the credit to my coaches and my teammates and everyone for trusting me and giving me the ball,” Haws said.

Jimmer’s hype did not reach its full peak until his senior year, which is exactly where Haws finds himself at the start of this season.

“Jimmer-mania, the key was that everyone was talking about it, ESPN, they made movies, videos, songs so if we want Tyler Haws to catch the same kind of fire we’re going to have to get it off campus as well,” BYU fan Simeon Toronto said.

Fans believe that goal is in reach for Haws simply because of his work ethic.

“He’s always consistent, he’s hardworking. He’s always out there a half hour before the game and starts just putting shots up,” BYU fan Seth Rumbaugh said.

That hard work is paying off early in the season, Haws is on the Naismith Trophy watch list, a trophy that Jimmer won in 2011.

Tyler has a shot at closing the gap on Jimmer this Saturday when he and the cougars take on the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors at Energy Solutions Arena.