Elder Neal A. Maxwell has said, “Moments are the molecules that make up eternity.”
Some buildings featured in the “Block Plan Series: Provo” exhibit by Kim Schoenstadt at BYU’s Museum of Art no longer exist. Others look a little different now than they did when they were first constructed.
Take a look at the following GIFs to see how some Provo landmarks, which are featured in the “Block Plan Series: Provo” exhibit, looked for a few short moments in November 2014.
For more information about the exhibit, please click here.
With the exception of the Provo temple, the information for all these sites comes from the exhibit.
1. Provo Power Plant
The Provo Power Plant was built in 1939 to house what is now Utah’s largest publicly owned power utility. Another smoke stack was added in 1949 to accommodate Provo’s growing population. The smoke stacks have not actually been in use since Provo Power was able to utilize natural gas instead of coal. This building will be torn down in the upcoming year due to safety concerns.
2. The Talmage Building
The Talmage Building on BYU campus was dedicated in 1974. It houses BYU’s computer and animation departments. The Center for Animation inspired part of Schoenstadt’s work.
3. The Malt Shoppe
The pilgrim’s hat-shaped roof was a hallmark of A&W restaurant franchises, which popped up across the country in the 1950s. This A&W eventually became the Malt Shoppe, a family-run burger place. It still displays 1950s-style concert posters, a jukebox and other memorabilia.
4. Campus Drive Footbridge
The footbridge that crosses Campus Drive was made in conjunction with the Marriott Center. It allows for easy access to the Marriott Center, the BYU Broadcasting Building, Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum and student parking.
5. The Startup Building
Candy maker William D. Startup left England to go to Salt Lake City in 1868. He eventually moved to Provo, where he founded what became the Startup Candy Company. The company was the first to make stick candy in the United States and the first to make ice cream in Utah Valley. In 1898, the company expanded to a larger factory. The sixth generation of candy makers still sells candy in the same building.
6. J. Reuben Clark Law School
The school was named after a member of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The building was dedicated in 1973. Over 5,000 students have graduated from the school since then.
7. Private residence
This house was built in 1980. The openings on the building’s south side let the sun in during the winter and provide shade during the summer.
8. Provo temple
OK, so maybe you won’t see the Provo temple in the exhibit. Still, it’s an important Provo landmark. We also just wanted to show off the beautiful GIF we have of it.
According to LDSChurchTemples.com, the Provo temple was dedicated in February 1972. It was the sixth temple built in Utah and the first in Utah County.