LifeMultimediaPhoto Galleries18 moments to remember in BYU women’s historyBy Brooke Weenig - October 21, 2014401Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Women in BYU history have done remarkable things in the past and continue to do so. Groundbreaking for the Women’s Gymnasium, held on Nov. 6, 1912. A BYU women’s lucheon meeting held in the Joseph Smith Building ballroom in about 1960. BYU’s women’s group was formed in 1914 to support female faculty members. Though there was no snowfall, girls dressed in ski outfits for the 1935 Winter Carnival. Identical Bolivian twins Ruth and Judith Leonardini. They could attend an American University when they were children. The twins graduated at the top of their high school class and received scholarships from 28 American Universities but chose to come to BYU. Girl competitors race to the finish line in a 1920 Girls’ Day Competition. Interclass competitions were held in the 1930s and were popular for women. This junior class won the basketball championship in 1938. Dr. Cutler, the dean of BYU College of Family Living from 1961 to 1966. Here, she displays some of her African artifacts. Public Service Bureau provided lectures and entertainment in response to requests for programs. The Spanish Fork Club poses for a photograph in 1920. Wife to Ernest L. Wilkinson is pictured near the top in the center. A BYU physical education class led by Algie Eggertson Ballif in 1918. The annual Invitational Track and Field Meet first began at BYU in 1911. Wilma Feppsen, head of the Women’s Physical Education Department, proposed the inclusion of the Posture Parade, which was comprised of high school girls. Laina C. Fugal, left, American Mother of 1955; and Elsi C. Carroll, right, BYU English teacher and author; both were honored at dedication on May 7, 1957. President Ernest L. Wilkinson greets the two remarkable Latter-day Saint women. The Cougarettes, the female marching group, perform in the George Albert Smith Fieldhouse in 1953. In October 1954, 21 former presidents of BYU Women attended a meeting of the group. The Air Force ROTC was established at BYU in 1951. Soon after, girls organized a sponsor corps titled Angel Flight. These girls were a part of the Angel Flight rifle team. Vivian Hansen, first dean of the College of Nursing, consults with Dr. Vasco M. Tanner and President Ernest L. Wilkinson in 1953. Graduating BYU class of 1895. Women Groundkeepers first tend BYU grounds in 1973. Here, Denise Richards lays sod, a strenuous labor reserved for men.