July 11 marks 7-Eleven’s free Slurpee day

516

photo 1 (2)It’s free Slurpee day!

7-Eleven will be giving away free 12 oz. Slurpees at participating stores from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. (While supplies last.)

7-Eleven is celebrating its 87th birthday with a tradition that began in 2002. July 11 is labeled as 7-Eleven Day by the franchise, and to celebrate it gives away free Slurpees to customers.

Jeremy Stevens, a sales associate of the 7-Eleven located on the corner of 500 South and University Avenue, said they expect to see more than 300 people come in for free Slurpees throughout the day.

“It’s gonna be busy, long line of people coming in to get free Slurpees,” Stevens said.

Stevens has been an employee of 7-Eleven for seven years and has experienced the craze of the annual free Slurpee day.

“It’s one of the busiest days of the year,” Stevens said.

According to Stevens, in past years a variety of people have taken advantage of this special offer, including college students, adults and kids.

“I do like Slurpees; I come a lot with my friends to get them. If I have time in between work and other errands then I’ll get one,” said Dakota Williams, 23, a junior studying advertising at BYU.

In addition to the giveaway on July 11, 7-Eleven is giving away free items all week long on its smartphone app through July 19. Some of these giveaways include a Big Gulp soft drink, Twinkies, Snickers and more. To download the app text BDAY to 711711.