Green superhero

240

I call myself “eco-friendly Kaylee.” My friends call me “tree-hugger.” But I’m proud to wear the title, as are other eco-friendly people nationwide. Obtaining that title seems an insurmountable task, but you will soon discover there are simple steps you can take to create a more eco-friendly campus.

Everyone must do their part, and recycling is the easiest way to start. Recycling just one ton of paper can save 17 trees, 6,593 gallons of water, 463 gallons of oil, 587 pounds of air pollution, 3.06 cubic yards of landfill space and 4,077 kilowatt-hours of energy. So, be a hero. God provided us with this beautiful earth. The least you could do is recycle your paper to show your appreciation for campus and the life he provides.

Many people complain that it takes too much time to help the environment. But truthfully? Making a difference can be as simple as turning the knob on the washing machine to cold instead of hot, or bringing a reusable bag to carry your groceries out of the store instead of wasting plastic sacks. Even unplugging your devices when they are fully charged helps. Start here and start now, because you don’t have to have superpowers to be a hero. A little more effort from you will help create an eco-friendly campus. So, stop reading this paper. Toss it in a recycling bin. And go plant a tree.

Kaylee Bateman
Idaho Falls, Idaho