Recovering BYU student home and happy

344

A BYU student involved in a Feb. 26 longboarding accident is now home with her family in South Jordan after spending more than a month in ICU and rehabilitation.

Lexi Hansen returned home on March 28, where she continues physical and cognitive therapy at home.

“She loves being at home with her family,” said a Facebook post from her family. “It felt so good to her to see familiar faces and get hugs from her neighbors.”

BYU student Lexi Hansen (left) with her childhood friend, Jordan Fletcher, a student at the University of Utah. Photo courtesy Jordan Fletcher.
BYU student Lexi Hansen (left) with her childhood friend, Jordan Fletcher, a student at the University of Utah. (Photo courtesy Jordan Fletcher)

Jordan Fletcher, Hansen’s neighbor and friend since childhood, said Hansen’s recovery has been an inspiration for her, but at first it was hard.

“Whenever someone would talk to me about it I would just cry and cry,” Fletcher said. “I still cry all the time now, but I cry for a different reason.”

Fletcher said her tears are now tears of joy because of the hope and faith she has received from Hansen’s experience.

“It’s been absolutely incredible to see the things that she’s done and her improvements,” she said. “I’ve learned so much from her.”

Hansen can now eat, walk and talk without assistance. Her family said she still suffers from considerable pain in her neck and head, but her mobility and cognitive skills continue to improve.

“I’m confident she’ll make a pretty full recovery,” said Hansen’s sister, Kelsi Hansen.

Lexi Hansen is scheduled to have her neck brace removed in two weeks. Fletcher said the brace is the last thing holding Hansen back.