Cougar Questions: What impact will the Provo City Center Temple have on Provo?

581

With the construction of the Provo City Center Temple progressing on schedule, many wonder what impact it will have on the surrounding areas. BYU students shared their opinions about what the temple will bring to the city.

“The temple provides more of a reason to keep developing downtown. I think that downtown is something that a lot of BYU students miss out on. It will give students more of a reason to go downtown.” — Zach Rowley, 22, middle eastern studies, Provo
“The temple provides more of a reason to keep developing downtown. I think that Downtown is something that a lot of BYU students miss out on. It will give students more of a reason to go Downtown.” — Zach Rowley, 22, middle eastern studies, Provo
“It will make the city center more popular. When it is pretty down there students will be more likely to visit the area. I think it will help the businesses and restaurants down there.” — Taylor Wood, 23, accounting, Layton
“The biggest benefit of the new temple will be to members who live in Provo. A lot of times it can be an inconvenience to go to the Provo Temple because it is so busy. People will be more likely to go to the temple because it won’t be such a huge time commitment.” — Sean Kennedy, 22, pre-finance, Meridian, Idaho.
“I think that more people will be able to attend the temple. It will free up the Provo Temple.” — Sarah Wood, 20, human development, Logan
“The Provo Temple is very overcrowded. I like that the new temple is opening up it will alleviate some of the space issues that we have in the current temple. From an architectural standpoint it is beautiful.” — Kimberly Austin, 21, humanities, Las Vegas.
“It will draw in a lot of different people. A lot of LDS people are going to come to Provo. I think it will add a bit of tourism as well, especially with the Nu Skin buildings right next to it.” — Kayci Muirbrook, 18, international relations, Spanish Fork.
“It will be a positive impact. Whenever I have gone to the Provo Temple it is always packed. This has made me wonder if I have have the time to go. The new temple will give me a drive to continue to go to the temple. Especially if there are shorter lines. Seeing the new temple … it’s just gorgeous.” — Joann Distler, 20, neuroscience, Alpine, N.J.
“It will be a positive impact. Whenever I have gone to the Provo Temple, it is always packed. This has made me wonder if I have the time to go. The new temple will give me a drive to continue to go to the temple. Especially if there are shorter lines. Seeing the new temple … it’s just gorgeous.” — Joann Distler, 20, neuroscience, Alpine, N.J.
“Already people come from other places to visit the temple; I think it will be easier to have two different temples. I think it will be really good for downtown as well. Some of the restaurants people don’t really know, but, with a temple right there, people are going to be more excited to go hang out down there. I think it will really enliven downtown Provo.” — Elizabeth Hinatsu, 21, dietetics, Fruitland, Idaho.

“I think it will make everything a little bit faster at the Provo Temple. This way we can go to both.” — David Broadbent, 23, molecular biology, Orem