President Boyd K. Packer: The witness

340

President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said he wished to teach the truths that he has found most valuable in nearly 90 years of life and over 50 years as a General Authority.

Courtesy Mormon Newsroom
President Boyd K. Packer speaks at the Sunday afternoon session of General Conference on April 6, 2014. (Photo courtesy Mormon Newsroom)

“Much of what I have come to know falls into they category of things which cannot be taught but can be learned,” he said.

He shared a story of his time in Japan during Word War II. He said this was a time of spiritual turmoil for him and he struggled with doubt and uncertainty.

One sleepless night he began to pray, and received a private, individual manifestation that the gospel was true.

“I could not describe to you what happened if I were determined to do so,” he said. “It is beyond my power of expression, but it is as clear today as it was that night more than 65 years ago. I knew for a certainty, for it had been given to me.”

He emphasized the need for each of us to come to our own personal testimony of Christ. He said eternal knowledge, like most valuable things, only comes through personal pondering and prayer.

The first “eternal truth” he taught is that God lives. He is our Father, and he chose this title out of all the other titles He could have chosen. This shows us the divinity of the family, and sacred privilege of parenthood.

“The ultimate end of all activity in the Church is that a man and his wife and their children can be happy at home,” he said.

However, he said for those whom these blessings are out of reach in this life, they will not be denied them in the eternities.

“I give those in such circumstances a promise that there will be nothing essential to your salvation and exaltation that shall not in due time rest upon you,” he said. “Arms now empty will be filled and hearts now hurting from broken dreams and yearning will be healed.”

The second idea he shared is that the Holy Ghost is real. He said the Holy Ghost can bring comfort, guidance and correction, and is maintained through righteous living. Our gift of the Holy Ghost will only affect us if we heed its righteous promptings.

The last principle he shared is a sure witness of Jesus Christ.

“After all the years that I have lived and taught and served, after the millions of miles I have traveled around the world, with all that I have experienced, there is one great truth that I would share,” he said. “That is my witness of the Savior Jesus Christ.”

Additionally, he cautioned that we must never forget that the Adversary exists, and “personally seeks to disrupt the work of the Lord.” But as long as we consciously decide and seek to follow Christ, we will be protected.

He closed with a short, but powerful testimony of Jesus Christ.

“I bear my witness that the Savior lives. I know the Lord. I am His witness. I know of His great sacrifice and eternal love for all of Heavenly Father’s children. I bear my special witness in all humility but with absolute certainty, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.”