Family life and determination, not terminal cancer, define graduating BYU student

374

An early graduation event is scheduled for a BYU student and mother of four who went in for a surgery this past June and left with the news that she had stage four endometrial cancer.

Despite the ups and downs of the past year, Bev Goulding has continued to work hard to achieve her goals. She began her BYU career in 1985 and is set to receive a degree in family life.

“I want to show my kids that I can do hard things. They can do hard things. We just go through life, and we make the best of what we’re given,” Goulding said. “We set forth goals, and we try to accomplish them. That’s always been my goal — to graduate from BYU — even though it’s taken so long. I want to show my kids that even through the tough times, I’m able to do it.”

Goulding has had the opportunity to attend BYU at the same time as her son and considers that a blessing. She has greatly enjoyed her time at BYU and the experiences she has had while attending the university.

“It’s been a great journey through the years. I’ve loved working toward my degree. I’ve loved the classes I’ve taken at BYU. It’s been a great experience. It’s helped me with my family, and it’s helped them,” Goulding said. “It’s important. If we stick with it and we work hard, we can accomplish the goals we set out to do no matter the obstacles.”

Bev sits with her family. (Photo courtesy of Denise Ashworth.)
The Goulding family (Photo courtesy of Denise Ashworth)

At 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 15, a 5K run in Highland will be held in Goulding’s honor, with proceeds of the race going to help with medical costs and family expenses. Interested runners can register for $25 at www.highland5k.com.

In addition, an early graduation celebration will be held for Goulding on the same day at 4 p.m. at the Suncrest Club House in Draper. Immediately following the graduation, a silent auction will be held with several items to bid on, including five tickets to “Les Miserables” at Hale Center Theatre, BYU football game tickets and various gift baskets.

Goulding said she is grateful for the outpouring of love and support she and her family have received.

“I just want to say how very thankful I am for all the great support we have received from family, friends, neighbors, relatives, from ward members, from community members, from people all over the world — I can’t even begin to name how many people have helped,” Goulding said. “It’s just been a great blessing to our family’s life. We really couldn’t do this without all that help. We are so appreciative of that.”