Provo designers strut their stuff

227
Melanie Brook and Janay Robison, BYU students creating opportunities for local designers at the Provo Fashion Week (Photos courtesy of Melanie Brook).

Provo is having its first-ever fashion week, during which local designers get to showcase their designs on a runway.

Local designers in Provo lack the opportunity to showcase their talents and abilities in design, so Melanie Brook and Janay Robison are giving that opportunity to designers ready to take it.

Brook, from Placerville, Calif., a BYU student majoring in public relations, is one of the creators of Provo Fashion Week and explains the purposes behind the event.

“We are organizing this event because we know there are a lot of people like us who are craving an opportunity to pursue fashion design but have no outlets to do so locally,” Brook said.

Bree Wilkins, from Orem, a BYU student majoring in business management/marketing, is a local designer and described her feelings as excited and that Provo Fashion Week is a wonderful opportunity to participate in the upcoming show.

“I am participating in Provo Fashion Week because I love to design and it has been one year since my last collection, and I was itching to create something new,” Wilkins said. “Over the summer I lived in NYC and was inspired by so many different fabrics, so it was extremely fulfilling to create pieces from fabric I found and make items I can wear once the show is over. It is also a great way to build my portfolio and learn more,” Wilkins said.

Brook commented on the extensive participation expected at the event.

“What started as a community fashion show has turned into something worthy of the title Provo Fashion Week because of the quantity and quality of people interested in participating, and it only continues to grow,” Brook said. “There are 15 participating designers and well over 100 models with even more people interested in participating at the next event.”

The event not only supports local designers but also is donating all the money to the Provo Food and Care Coalition. The money is being raised by Brook and Janay Robison, also a BYU student, in their kickstarter. Those who want to pledge to help pay for the event are welcome to do so at www.kickstarter.com/projects/1159177829/provo-fashion-week.

Provo Fashion Week is taking place April 9–10 at 6:30 and 9:30 p.m., in the Startup building and is $5 for admission.