No. 64 BYU women’s tennis gave No. 28 Arizona State a run for their money in the match on Saturday, but came up just shy, losing 4-3.
“We had another great start today with doubles,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “ASU came out ready in singles and took the early lead on almost every court. We fought, but it’s very difficult to play from behind and pull out a big match. Savannah (Ware) and Mo (Anderson-Littlewood) did a great job today. They both performed well.”
BYU took the doubles point with wins in both the second and third slots. First doubles took a loss, but BYU still came up with a 1-0 lead for doubles play.
Arizona State took over in singles play. Freshman Toby Miclat took a loss, losing in straight sets 6-1, 6-0, but junior Morgan Anderson-Littlewood put BYU back on top winning 6-3, 6-3.
Freshman Mayci Jones and junior Meghan Sheehan-Dizon both lost their matches in two sets bringing ASU into the lead. ASU’s lead furthered as sophomore Nicolette Tran fell in three sets to her opponent.
Freshman Savannah Ware gave BYU a high note ending winning her match 0-6, 6-4, 6-4. BYU walked away with a hard fought loss.
BYU will next take on No. 65 Marshall on Thursday at noon MDT.
Results below are provided by McKay Perry, from BYU Athletic Communications:
#28 Arizona State 4, BYU 3
Whiteman Tennis Center
Mar. 15, 2014
1. Krawcyzk/Jump (ASU) def. N Tran/D. Tran (BYU), 8-3
2. Jones/Miclat (BYU) def. Sahagun/Panoho (ASU), 8-5
3. Anderson/Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Vlad/Smith (ASU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) def. Mayci Jones (BYU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) def. Nicolette Tran(BYU), 6-1, 2-6, 6-0
4. Kassidy Jump (ASU) def. Toby Miclat (BYU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Savannah Ware(BYU) def. Ebony Panoho (ASU), 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Joanna Smith (ASU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2, 1, 3, 5