Cougar Questions: What is your favorite memory of President Samuelson

466

President Cecil O. Samuelson’s release as president of BYU was announced on March 11. With the announcement, the Universe wanted to know students’ favorite memories of President Samuelson. From his inspiring devotionals to his double thumbs up at the basketball games, President Samuelson will be missed.

"The one member that stands out to me, it was a couple years ago and he was just standing in Brigham Square handing out hot dogs with BYUSA. I remember thinking, 'President Samuelson just gave me a hot dog!' It just made me so happy!"— Audrie Tanner, geography, Ontario, Calif.
“The one member that stands out to me, it was a couple years ago and he was just standing in Brigham Square handing out hot dogs with BYUSA. I remember thinking, ‘President Samuelson just gave me a hot dog!’ It just made me so happy!”— Audrie Tanner, geography, Ontario, Calif.
"The only memories I have of President Samuelson is at the devotionals and basketball games." — Austen Tullis, nursing, Spokane, Wash.
“The only memories I have of President Samuelson is at the devotionals and basketball games.” — Austen Tullis, nursing, Spokane, Wash.
"Whenever he gives the opening devotional every semester."— Brienna Durfee, undeclared, Portland, Ore.
“Whenever he gives the opening devotional every semester.”— Brienna Durfee, undeclared, Portland, Ore.
"The beginning of every semester, President Samuelson always gives a devotional. I have always appreciated his words because devotionals are a big part of my study." — Brian Davis, comupter science, Maple Valley, Wash.
“The beginning of every semester, President Samuelson always gives a devotional. I have always appreciated his words because devotionals are a big part of my study.” — Brian Davis, comupter science, Maple Valley, Wash.
"President Samuelson is always giving double thumbs up at the games. I love that." — Brian Longhurst, information technology, Orem
“President Samuelson is always giving double thumbs up at the games. I love that.” — Brian Longhurst, information technology, Orem
"I like it when President Samuelson speaks at the devotionals with his wife. I have enjoyed all of their speeches together." — Derek Spilker, pre-medical laboratory science, St. George
“I like it when President Samuelson speaks at the devotionals with his wife. I have enjoyed all of their speeches together.” — Derek Spilker, pre-medical laboratory science, St. George
"The 'Whoosh! Cecil!' at all the games."— Gary Cliff, exercise science, Roanoke, Va.
“The ‘Whoosh! Cecil!’ at all the games.”— Gary Cliff, exercise science, Roanoke, Va.
"I loved when President Samuelson have his thumbs up after every 'Woosh! Cecil!' at the basketball games." — Jace Clark, recreation management, Murrieta, Calif.
“I loved when President Samuelson have his thumbs up after every ‘Woosh! Cecil!’ at the basketball games.” — Jace Clark, recreation management, Murrieta, Calif.
"Whenever he is at the basketball games he always does his thumbs up." — Jeff Rock, accounting, Mesa, Ariz.
“Whenever he is at the basketball games he always does his thumbs up.” — Jeff Rock, accounting, Mesa, Ariz.
"When I was a freshman he spoke to the incoming class, and he said a lot of great things. He gave me a lot of hope." — Jennifer Egan, English, Houston, Texas
“When I was a freshman he spoke to the incoming class, and he said a lot of great things. He gave me a lot of hope.” — Jennifer Egan, English, Houston, Texas
"It was my freshman year and a choir had just sung at a devotional. President Samuelson stood up and said how great the choir did. It was just really cool because it was like he had pride in the choir; like since they were from BYU they were his choir." — Jesse Grigg, computer engineering, Boise, Idaho
“It was my freshman year and a choir had just sung at a devotional. President Samuelson stood up and said how great the choir did. It was just really cool because it was like he had pride in the choir; like since they were from BYU they were his choir.” — Jesse Grigg, computer engineering, Boise, Idaho
"Definitely at the basketball games when he gives his double thumbs up." — Nicole Hancock, biology, Issaquah, Wash.
“Definitely at the basketball games when he gives his double thumbs up.” — Nicole Hancock, biology, Issaquah, Wash.
"One time he was riding the little golf cart around campus. He said hi to me and waved and I said hi back." — Raisa De Leon, psychology, Guatemala City
“One time he was riding the little golf cart around campus. He said hi to me and waved and I said hi back.” — Raisa De Leon, psychology, Guatemala City
"I just think the whole 'Whoosh! Cecil!' that everyone does at the basketball games is really fun." — Tanner Jeppsen, exercise science, Provo
“I just think the whole ‘Whoosh! Cecil!’ that everyone does at the basketball games is really fun.” — Tanner Jeppsen, exercise science, Provo