BYU lacrosse wins close game against Arizona


BYU lacrosse came out victorious after a neck-to-neck battle against Arizona, with a final score of 14-11.

Junior Mike Fabrizio tries to approach the goal, assisting in Saturday's win against the University of Arizona.
Junior Mike Fabrizio tries to approach the goal, assisting in Saturday’s win against the University of Arizona.

“There was some all-around great play today,” said head coach Matt Schneck. “We held them to 2-3 goal runs, but we never gave them the lead.”

The game was intense from the beginning throughout, the first goal scored five minutes in by BYU’s #4, junior Jake Arbon. Throughout the first quarter both teams played impressive defense, making for a low-scoring quarter.

The next goal wasn’t made until two minutes were left on the clock, with a goal from Arizona, ending the first quarter tied 1-1.

Two minutes into the second quarter freshman Aaron Fjeldsted made a goal for BYU, with an assist by junior Nick Stevens. Not long after, Arbon scored his second goal of the game, followed quickly by senior Chris Weinberger, putting BYU at a 3-point lead.

Arizona didn’t stay behind for long and two minutes later followed up with a 3-point streak of their own, bringing the score back to a tie at 4-4. Just before halftime, with only 16 seconds left in the quarter, junior Zach Jordan scored another point for BYU, bringing the team back into the lead.

BYU stayed strong in the start of the third quarter with another goal from Jordan as well as a goal from junior Mike Fabrizio, BYU’s leading scorer of the season. Yet again Arizona didn’t let BYU gain too much of a lead, scoring four more points and ending the third quarter with another tie, 8-8.

The Cougars came together in the fourth quarter, getting their largest lead of the game with a five-point streak, bringing the score to 13-8. Three of those points were made by Stevens, making him the lead scorer of the game with four goals as well as two assists and a three-point streak.

Arizona began making a comeback with another three goals but never quite caught up. The Cougars started and ended the game scoring, the final goal made by Weinberger, his third goal of the game.

“We knew (Arizona) was going to come fight and be resilient,” Arbon said. “We just kept fighting them, and we finally got it done.”

BYU plays its next game on March 26 against Santa Barbara, staying on its own home turf. The game will be held at 4 p.m. on BYU’s North Field.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email