Cougar Questions: Should California be split into six states?

547

Silicon venture capitalist Tim Draper wants to split California into six states. He claims California is too large to govern as one mass. If Draper gets 807,615 signatures from registered voters by July 18, 2014, his initiative will appear on a ballot.

The Universe asked BYU students whether they thought California splitting into six states is a good idea. Here’s what they said.

"I'm not convinced it's ever going to happen. But I think it's not a bad idea — especially considering gun laws that are changing rapidly throughout a lot of different states; California's got strict gun laws. And if there's a certain portion of California that would like to change that law, or something like marijuana legalization, they could." — Seth Bangerter, mechanical engineering, American Fork
“I’m not convinced it’s ever going to happen. But I think it’s not a bad idea — especially considering gun laws that are changing rapidly throughout a lot of different states; California’s got strict gun laws. And if there’s a certain portion of California that would like to change that law, or something like marijuana legalization, they could.” — Seth Bangerter, mechanical engineering, American Fork
"I don't think they should split California into six states because 56 is a bad number, and 50's good." — Brooke Pulsipher, accounting, Cary, N.C.
“I don’t think they should split California into six states because 56 is a bad number, and 50’s good.” — Brooke Pulsipher, accounting, Cary, N.C.
"No, they shouldn't split it, because if Hawaii can't be six states, then why should California be split into six states?" — Melanie Serrao, family life, Aiea, Hawaii
“No, they shouldn’t split it, because if Hawaii can’t be six states, then why should California be split into six states?” — Melanie Serrao, family life, Aiea, Hawaii
"No, it shouldn't divide into six states because then they'd get more power in the House of Representatives. There would be an unfair balance. So strictly from a political standpoint, I don't think it's a good idea." — Sara Knott, information systems, Nashville, Tenn.
“No, it shouldn’t divide into six states because then they’d get more power in the House of Representatives. There would be an unfair balance. So strictly from a political standpoint, I don’t think it’s a good idea.” — Sara Knott, information systems, Nashville, Tenn.
"I think it's silly that he wants to divide it into six different states because California was founded as one state and it should stay that way." — Mason Yates, exercise science, Fallon, Nev.
“I think it’s silly that he wants to divide it into six different states because California was founded as one state and it should stay that way.” — Mason Yates, exercise science, Fallon, Nev.
"No, I don't think it should be split into six different states. I come from California, and it seems like it'd be a big hassle to have to split everything." — Caleb Joubert, civil engineering, San Diego, Calif.
“No, I don’t think it should be split into six different states. I come from California, and it seems like it’d be a big hassle to have to split everything.” — Caleb Joubert, civil engineering, San Diego, Calif.
"I think it would cause a lot of issues. He (Draper) sounds a little idealistic, not really thinking about the big picture and just kind of trying to solve problems in the moment." — Emily Rudd, biology, Edmond, Okla.
“I think it would cause a lot of issues. He (Draper) sounds a little idealistic, not really thinking about the big picture and just kind of trying to solve problems in the moment.” — Emily Rudd, biology, Edmond, Okla.
"I think it's kind of a ridiculous idea; it's really far-fetched. I think it would cause too many changes and problems with the electoral college and all those kinds of things. It's just too big of a change." — Chloe Bray, undeclared, Gilbert, Ariz.
“I think it’s kind of a ridiculous idea; it’s really far-fetched. I think it would cause too many changes and problems with the electoral college and all those kinds of things. It’s just too big of a change.” — Chloe Bray, undeclared, Gilbert, Ariz.
"I think it would be a good idea because it is such a big state. I can't see it being a bad thing, separating it out into smaller pieces." — Brady Johnson, supply chain, St. George
“I think it would be a good idea because it is such a big state. I can’t see it being a bad thing, separating it out into smaller pieces.” — Brady Johnson, supply chain, St. George
"I think the thought is really intriguing. But I don't know what that will do precedent-wise for other states because there are other states that would also want to separate into different states. I just don't think it's going to happen. Logistically, it would be hard to work out." — Stephen Thurston, supply chain, Sugar City, Idaho
“I think the thought is really intriguing. But I don’t know what that will do precedent-wise for other states because there are other states that would also want to separate into different states. I just don’t think it’s going to happen. Logistically, it would be hard to work out.” — Stephen Thurston, supply chain, Sugar City, Idaho