Elizabeth Smart to speak at Loveland Performing Arts Center

362
More than a decade after her kidnapping and rescue grabbed national headlines, Elizabeth Smart published a memoir of her ordeal in a book called "My Story," which was released Monday Oct. 7. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File.)
Elizabeth Smart will tell her personal story and discuss topics of hardship at the Loveland Performing Arts Center. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File.)

Elizabeth Smart was abducted 12 years ago from her home in Salt Lake City and wasn’t seen for 9 months. During her time of abduction, Smart endured many adversities.

Smart has become an important figure for survival. On Feb. 6 the Loveland Performing Arts Center will be hosting Elizabeth Smart as a keynote speaker. Her speech will not only tell her personal story but also discuss topics such as overcoming adversity, the importance and process of recovery and not allowing your past to dictate your life’s future. Smart knows that there is nothing more important than having hope in a difficult situation.

“The next nine months, my days consisted of being hungry, of being bored to death because he talked nonstop always about himself,” Smart said in an interview with Anderson Cooper, CNN. “I mean, talk about self-absorbed. And then my days consisted of being raped. I mean, not just once, multiple times a day.”

Tickets cost $100 for dinner, or $25 for the keynote speech, and can be found online at heritagertc.org/elizabethsmart or by calling 801-226-4663. The event on Feb. 6 will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. The Loveland Performing Arts Center is at 5600 N. Heritage School Dr. in Provo.