Cougars Start Strong at BYU Invitational

176

The BYU track and field indoor season began with powerful performances from multiple cougars at the BYU Invitational.

The first meet of the season gave the athletes an opportunity to shake out the jitters and compete for team traveling positions.

“I was really pleased with the effort in our only home meet of the indoor season. We saw a lot of athletes get their seasons off to a good start,” BYU head coach Ed Eyestone said.

The BYU men's track & field team set several records in its weekend victory. Photo by Maddi Dayton
The BYU men’s track & field team set several records in its weekend meet in Provo. Photo by Maddi Dayton

Senior Chase Dalton placed first in the heptathlon, and set new personal records in six of the seven events.

“What I’m really excited about is that it is January and I already hit six out of seven records,” Dalton said. “I have a good, solid foundation to start from and we’re shooting for June.”

The BYU men’s team also had athletes sweep the top three spots in High Jump. All three successfully jumped a height of 6-11.50 with Dakoda John placing first, Sam Rockwood in second and Zachary Blackham taking third.

“My mentality was to stay focused and to stay calm,” Rockwood said. “For me, the meet means a lot because I’m trying to see
where I am at athletically.”

The BYU women’s team also posted powerful performances at the three-day meet.

Sophomore Alyssa Monteverde placed first in the Heptathlon followed by Freshman Nicole Laws taking second, Senior Elizabeth Wilson finishing third and Sophomore Brie Ann Simmons placing fourth.

The cougars also swept the top six spots in the women’s mile.

Full results can be seen at RunnerCard.com. The Cougars compete again next weekend at the New Mexico Invitational.