Why no snowball fights?

684

I have lived in Texas and the Middle East for most of my life, so I have never lived in snow. I never had the chance to have a white Christmas when people would go sledding and make snowmen and have snowball fights. I was so happy when I made it to BYU because I would be able to have a white Christmas.

My dreams were crushed when I learned that people weren’t allowed to have snowball fights on campus. On the BYU website it says, “Disruptive behavior is not allowed. Examples of disruptive behavior include … snowball fights … and students who persist in such behavior could be asked to change rooms, transfer to another housing area, or leave On-Campus Housing.”

I don’t believe having a snowball fight should cause someone to change rooms. I don’t believe having a snowball fight should cause someone to move to another housing area, and I don’t believe having a snowball fight should cause someone to leave on-campus housing.

If you are having a snowball fight with only your friends who agree to have a snowball fight, you are not being disruptive to others. It’s only disruptive to others if you throw snowballs at someone to purposely hurt them.

A group of friends who are having a snowball fight to enjoy the snow, to get to know each other and to have fun, aren’t being harmful to others and should be allowed to have snowball fights.

Rebecca Richter
The Woodlands, Texas