Cougar Questions: What is the worst gift you have ever received?

526

With Christmas coming up, we are all taking the time to write out our wish lists and get them sent off to friends and family who have been asking for weeks, “What do you want for Christmas?” Though we may get many of the presents on our lists and others that are thoughtful and useful, there is always one that makes us put on a fake smile and half-heartedly thank the giver. Here are some of the worst gifts that BYU students have ever received.

"It was a University of Utah sweatshirt because my grandpa went to the University of Utah back in the 50s and so he gave me a U of U sweatshirt." — Derek Kirchhoefer, neuroscience, Colorado Springs, Colo.
“It was a University of Utah sweatshirt because my grandpa went to the University of Utah back in the 50s and so he gave me a U of U sweatshirt.” — Derek Kirchhoefer, neuroscience, Colorado Springs, Colo.
"Turtleneck sweater from my grandma." — Ben Crabtree, technology and engineering, Paradise, Calif.
“Turtleneck sweater from my grandma.” — Ben Crabtree, technology and engineering, Paradise, Calif.
"I got a hygiene kit that was complete with four different sizes of fingernail clippers. Each one of them had a little knife and the price tag on the back said that the kit cost $35. It had a little brush, too, so you could brush your nails after you cut them." — Brycen Gold, business strategy, Parker, Colo.
“I got a hygiene kit that was complete with four different sizes of fingernail clippers. Each one of them had a little knife and the price tag on the back said that the kit cost $35. It had a little brush, too, so you could brush your nails after you cut them.” — Brycen Gold, business strategy, Parker, Colo.
"My great-grandma, when I was 12, in the prime gift-giving age, decided that I would really like salt shakers. They're still in my closet somewhere in a shoebox." — Brady Anderson, undeclared, Alpine
“My great-grandma, when I was 12, in the prime gift-giving age, decided that I would really like salt shakers. They’re still in my closet somewhere in a shoebox.” — Brady Anderson, undeclared, Alpine
"My friends thought it would be funny to get me a Hannah Montana wig and microphone set because you get the best of both worlds." — Hannah Horspool, human development, Fresno, Calif.
“My friends thought it would be funny to get me a Hannah Montana wig and microphone set because you get the best of both worlds.” — Hannah Horspool, human development, Fresno, Calif.
"A mission companion tried baking me a cake for my birthday and it was a disaster. The icing was melted on the cake and it was falling apart. He tried putting marshmallows on the top but that didn't work either. It was a soggy mess." — Jared Hansen, advertising, Spartanburg, S.C.
“A mission companion tried baking me a cake for my birthday and it was a disaster. The icing was melted on the cake and it was falling apart. He tried putting marshmallows on the top but that didn’t work either. It was a soggy mess.” — Jared Hansen, advertising, Spartanburg, S.C.
"My boyfriend gave me a Beanie Baby. It was a cat, but it was covered in actual cat fur because his cat liked to cuddle with it. My mom is allergic to real cats, so I felt bad because I had to give it back to him. I said, 'I seriously can't take this home. My mom won't be able to breathe. She'll have to go to the hospital.' He was really disappointed, but I thought, 'Really did you think that was a good idea?'" — Kristen Stiles, communication disorders, Bakersfield, Calif.
“My boyfriend gave me a Beanie Baby. It was a cat, but it was covered in actual cat fur because his cat liked to cuddle with it. My mom is allergic to real cats, so I felt bad because I had to give it back to him. I said, ‘I seriously can’t take this home. My mom won’t be able to breathe. She’ll have to go to the hospital.’ He was really disappointed, but I thought, ‘Really did you think that was a good idea?'” — Kristen Stiles, communication disorders, Bakersfield, Calif.
"I got a blender. I was living at my house so I didn't really need a blender. I had one at my house. I don't know why they got me a blender." — Mackenzie Berry, biochemistry, Surprise, Ariz.
“I got a blender. I was living at my house so I didn’t really need a blender. I had one at my house. I don’t know why they got me a blender.” — Mackenzie Berry, biochemistry, Surprise, Ariz.
"This guy that I really liked, and he really liked me, gave me these really ugly gloves. I had to pretend that I liked them and I had to wear them because he wanted me to, but they were like the most hideous things ever. I was just embarrassed every time I had to put them on, but I had to like them." — Tiffany Erickson, English, Bountiful
“This guy that I really liked, and he really liked me, gave me these really ugly gloves. I had to pretend that I liked them and I had to wear them because he wanted me to, but they were like the most hideous things ever. I was just embarrassed every time I had to put them on, but I had to like them.” — Tiffany Erickson, English, Bountiful