BYU Crushes Facebook page flutters hearts across campus

331

BYU students have a new way to shamelessly confess their love for their campus crushes on the BYU Crushes Facebook page.

The page allows users to anonymously submit their pleas to be noticed by their crushes through a secret survey. The page then posts about forty of these confessions daily.

“Dang girl, are you my appendix? Because I don’t fully understand how you work, but this feeling in my stomach makes me want to take you out,” one of the most popular posts on the page reads.

The BYU Crushes Facebook page has caught the attention of students all over campus.
Gone are the days of passing love notes in class . Now students can anonymously share their feelings on the Facebook page, BYU Crushes. (Photo illustration by Sarah Hill)

Started on Oct. 24, the page has grown to more than 3,000 likes in less than two months.

“I never expected to get more than 100 likes,” said Erica Azad, BYU student and owner of the page. “Initially, I asked my three roommates to invite all of their BYU friends to like the page, and I thought it would fizzle after that. But then suddenly we started getting 200 likes a day.”

Azad said she has heard of other colleges having similar pages and thought BYU’s relationship-driven environment was demanding a page like this. And she seems to be right — the page has caught the attention of many students, whether they are mentioned by name on the page or not.

“If I had a dollar for every time I thought about Mike Gillespie, I’d buy a laptop so I could Facebook stalk him,” another post read. “But, for now I guess I’ll continue to dream about him during our anatomy class. Sigh.”

Gillespie, a 23-year-old student from Katy, Texas, said he was surprised and excited by the post about him.

“With my luck, it was probably a dude,” Gillespie said.

Azad gets about 80 submissions a day and will post 20 every morning and 20 every night.

“I try not to post tons of names or cheesy pickup lines at the same time,” Azad said. “People have told me that they scroll though the page at the end of the night like they would a newspaper.”

Cynthia Sun, a senior from Snohomish, Wash., said she’ll scroll through the page with her friends between her class breaks.

“It’s easy entertainment,” Sun said. “I truly believe that people should be open and express how they really feel, but they rarely do. It is always intriguing to read the feelings people are too shy to share. This page is perfect for BYU.”

Azad encourages all students to read over the page and submit their crushes.

“It’s a fun way to say your crush out loud without anyone really knowing,” Azad said. “Who knows if it will go anywhere, but at least other people will get a laugh out of it.”