BYU employees at the Culinary Support Center initiated CPR on their co-worker David Moody, a 26-year-old who lost consciousness and stopped breathing while working on Oct. 24.
Co-workers saw Moody collapse and proceeded to administer CPR until BYU police came with EMTs, who then took over CPR until Provo paramedics arrived. Moody received a total of 9 minutes of CPR before paramedics arrived and used an AED (a device that sends an electrical shock through your body); he started breathing on his own during the ride to the hospital.
“I’ve been in police work for 25 years, and this is the first one that I’ve ever seen come back from CPR,” said officer Wade Raab, who responded to the scene.
Moody was unconscious for the entire episode and does not recall any of the events of that day, but for fellow employees and the response team that saved his life, it will be a hard day to forget.
“I thought it was pretty tremendous that the … co-employees had presence of mind to get help and initiate CPR,” Raab said. The lead Provo paramedic told Raab the employees’ quick response to begin CPR is what helped saved Moody’s life.
Moody has a heart defect and a history of surgeries, but he was healthy enough to be released from the hospital on Oct. 30.