Coke Zero mixup and Dining Services

162

I understand the unwritten Dining Services policy against serving and providing caffeinated drinks on campus is likely to remain in place, but I’d just like to register my disappointment at the way Dining Services has been handling this issue.

As much as I’d like to get a Dr. Pepper or a Coke every so often on campus, I’m far more disappointed at the continued rationale I hear cited by BYU and Dining Services whenever the issue comes up.

“There isn’t any demand” rings increasingly hollow. Accidentally stocking a fairly unpopular Coke product for a day is enough for people to signal others of the opportunity on social media, causing a run on the machines. The incident even made the coverage of several online news outlets and fostered excited discussion in my classes.

In my years at BYU, I’ve been part of several massive class surveys that invariably showed a substantial contingent of students would be interested in BYU expanding its soda selection, with around half indicating they’d be a customer. There is, quite pointedly, a demand.

And I’m sorry, but I’m going to be blunt here — it doesn’t feel like we’re being told the truth. I and many others would much rather disagree with a university decision than have the feeling that a BYU department doesn’t respect us enough to tell us the truth.

Dustin Steinacker
Elk Ridge