Lew Cramer: BYU law a springboard to success

412

The J. Reuben Clark Law School celebrated its 40th anniversary on Aug. 27. One charter class alumnus, Lew Cramer, is an exemplar of what kind of life an education at the J. Reuben Clark Law School can offer.

Lew Cramer, right, shakes hands with former President George H.W. Bush.

Crammer graduated from the J. Reuben Clark Law School with the Charter Class in 1976. He attributes a great deal of his success to his decision to take a chance with BYU’s then-unaccredited J. Reuben Clark Law School.

“(A) BYU law degree opened many, many critical doors, introduced me to amazing folks like Dean Lee, and also required me to practice the highest standards of ethics and morality, because everyone was watching how a BYU law graduate would act!” said Cramer.

Cramer has been busy since graduation. He has pursued many opportunities from practicing law and business, to working in presidential administrations and teaching at prestigious business schools.

“Since BYU law graduation, I’ve practiced law in Silicon Valley and Los Angeles, taught several years at business schools at USC and Georgetown, worked in the Reagan and Bush I administrations as White House Fellow and Assistant Secretary of Commerce for International trade (and I have) been a telecom executive at US WEST helping put cell phone systems in about 20 countries,” Cramer said.

Crammer founded the World Trade Center Utah — one of 330 World Trade Centers in 100 countries — in 2006 and also serves as the organization’s CEO and president.

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Cramer said his most important achievements have been found in family and religious callings.

“Most importantly, (I have) raised six wonderful children, 13 grandchildren (and I celebrated) my 40th wedding anniversary on Aug. 4 with my lovely wife Barbara,” Cramer said. “I have been blessed to serve in eight bishoprics, three times as stake young men’s president, on four high councils, and now as Salt Lake Ensign stake president.”

For his future aspirations, Cramer said he wants to give back and serve.

“I do plan on continuing to expand international trade for Utah and help educate the upcoming generation about the benefits and challenges of globalization,” Cramer said.