BYU Buildings: Part 3


Thomas L. Martin Building:

Named to honor former dean Thomas L. Martin, who was named one of the top 10 BYU professors by BYU Magazine for his research and influence. One hundred and fifty of his graduates went on to receive doctorates and taught at 36 different universities. One of the students he inspired was Ezra Taft Benson, who would later become U.S. Secretary of Agriculture under President Eisenhower and LDS Church president. Martin also served on the LDS Sunday School Board for 17 years. He was the very first professor to receive the Karl G. Maeser Distinguished Teaching Award from President Wilkinson.

Dedicated: 1970

Construction began on the Thomas L. Martin Building in 1968. It was built to fill the need for more lecture space. It now contains four large lecture halls that seat more than 260 each.

Karl G. Maeser Building:

Named after Karl Gottfried Maeser (Jan. 16, 1828 – Feb. 15, 1901), who is most famous for having served 16 years as principal of Brigham Young Academy — which became Brigham Young University in 1903 — and is seen as the true founder of the institution.

Dedicated: 1911

One of the first buildings on campus, the Maeser building houses classrooms, administrative offices and an assembly hall for the BYU Honors Program.


Carl F. Eyring Science Center:

Named after Carl Ferdinand Eyring (Aug. 30, 1889–Jan. 3, 1951), who was a noted acoustic physicist. Eyring was also a leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who served as the first president of the New England Mission from 1937–1939. While president of the New England Mission, Eyring exerted efforts to keep Latter-day Saint students at Harvard University, MIT and other Boston area institutions of higher learning active in the church.

Eyring personally supervised the building of a new science building on BYU campus in the late 1940s. When the cement was laid for the Eyring Science Center, Eyring sprayed it himself to help it cure better, and it is said that that cement never cracked. Shortly after

Eyringthe building was dedicated, Eyring died from cancer, which had afflicted him for many years. In 1954, it was renamed the Carl F. Eyring Science Center in his honor.

Dedicated: 1950

The Eyring Science Center houses multiple classrooms that are usually used for science classes, as well as labs for the Nutritional Science Department. The main entry of the building also displays experiments and toys similar to a science museum.

Ernest L. Wilkinson Student Center:

Named after Ernest Leroy Wilkinson (May 4, 1899 – April 6, 1978), who was the sixth president of BYU and served from 1951–1971. He also oversaw the entire LDS Church Educational System as the ninth Commissioner of Church Education.


Under Wilkinson’s administration, BYU expanded in many ways. The number of students increased from 5,000 to 25,000 thanks in part to aggressive recruiting methods where faculty would accompany General Authorities on stake conference and mission visits. During this time, the BYU student body also changed from a student body composed mostly of Utah natives to students from virtually every state in the nation. Under his administration, the number of buildings on campus also grew tremendously.

BYU also granted PH.Ds for the first time during WIlkinson’s time at BYU. Wilkinson considered the most important accomplishment of his term to have been the organization of BYU student wards and stakes.

Dedicated: 1968

The Ernest L. Wilkinson Student Center serves as one of the main centers of campus. It was originally called the Ernest L. Wilkinson Center, but was renamed to its current name at its re-dedication by Gordon B. Hinckley in 1999 after the building had been extensively renovated.

The BYU Bookstore currently occupies one corner of the building. Also in the building are food services, including a food court with franchise restaurants, a high class restaurant taking up the sixth floor, BYU catering’s central operations and two other places to buy food not connected with any of the above. The building also has conference rooms, two large ballrooms, a movie theatre, a full-service copy center, a post office and a bowling alley are among its many facilities. There is also a barber shop and salon and a craft and flower store. The building also housing the Dean of Students Office, various counseling and conflict resolution offices, and various other student services offices. The Wilkinson Student Center also contains a computer lab. Among specific offices housed in the Wilkinson Student Center are the Center for Service and Learning, Women’s Services and Resources, the BYU Career and Counseling Center, BYU Campus Scheduling, BYU EMS, BYU Student Employment, the BYU Honor Code Office, Lost and Found, the BYU Information Center, and the Student Honor Association. The BYU Faculty Center is also located in the Student Center.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email