How to change names after marriage


The Utah County Clerk’s website directs people who want to change their names to do the following:

  • Obtain a certified copy of your marriage license from the county office (one certified copy is typically included in your marriage license fee, but additional copies are $5/copy).
  • Take a certified copy of your marriage license to the Social Security Office (along with your photo ID as well) and complete an application for a Social Security card. Tip: Provo’s Social Security office keeps odd office hours, so be sure to call ahead.
  • Take your marriage license to the Driver License Division along with all additional required documentation (visit the Utah Driver License Division website to see the entire list of required documents). If you do not have a Utah driver’s license, you will have to visit the Driver License Orem Office. Tip: There’s more specific documentation than you might think, so a visit to the website is a smart idea.
  • Contact your bank or financial institution, insurance company, post office and employer to make sure you change your name on their records.
  • Update your voter’s registration. You can get a new voter’s registration card from the County Clerk’s Office, the Utah State Elections website, or the Driver License Office. Complete your name and address and return it to the County Clerk’s Office.
  • Update your passport information. This will require you to send your certified copy of you marriage license and an application for a U.S. passport by mail form. The form is available in the County Clerk’s Office or at the U.S. Department of State website.

In addition to completing these legal steps, people can change their name at BYU by taking a new Social Security card or other approved documentation to the Records Office at B-150 ASB.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email