Remembering the forgotten

117

I’m sure most people would agree that three-day weekends are the best, not just because of the long weekend, but also because that means the work week is cut short.

These breaks are nice once in a while, in fact, I would have no problem having them more regularly. I always look forward to President’s, Labor and Memorial Days because that means one more day of sleeping in and barbecues with the family. The water park and movie theater is always packed, with people smiling and enjoying a care-free holiday.

My only regret is that I have failed in showing my respect on these days of remembrance. I didn’t ever even think about it until last week when my cousin moved back to Utah from New York. She came back because her husband was just deployed to Afghanistan.

I can’t even imagine how hard that would be, sending your spouse off for an extended period of time to defend the country we live in. But then I started to wonder if that was really the most difficult part. I think it might be more difficult to send a loved one off to war knowing that there is a possibility that you may never see them again, and then have the people they are defending not show the respect these brave men and women deserve. How painful it must be to give up so much and receive so little in return.

Last Sunday, I sat with my cousin and other family members as she Skyped her husband in his small, crowded room. It was made of plywood and there was barely enough room for him to stand. He moved the camera around the room to show us the area where he slept and started to tell us how their lunch and midnight chow meals were going to be cut in the coming weeks.

When we left my cousin’s house, I proceeded to complain to my husband that it wasn’t fair that the troops were being treated that way. Then I realized I was part of the problem. I have never donated goods to those fighting overseas, nor have I even sent a letter despite having family deployed in other countries. Sure, I prayed for them each night and put the flag out in the yard on patriotic holidays, but I had not done my part to let them know I appreciate what those soldiers are doing.

I know there are people that don’t support the War on Terror, or war in general. Personally, I believe people deserve the right to their own opinion, and if that is what they believe, fine. I just think that those who have put their life on the line deserve our respect. Period. And that means more than wearing a t-shirt with a flag on it that reads “Proud to be an American.”

There are hundreds of charities and organizations set up so American citizens can give back to those soldiers sacrificing so much. They make it easy to send cards, gifts and care packages. If you have ever served a mission, you know how much simple things like that can lift spirits.

I hope yesterday, we honored a fallen solider some way, some how, because they have earned it. If you didn’t show that respect yesterday on Memorial Day, pledge to do better. I know I owe it to my cousin, her husband and the thousands of other people who have left their families in order to protect mine.