Protesters at Provo IRS building Tuesday

300
TeaPartyProtest_1
Locals voice their opinion about the recent IRS scandal. (Photo by Sarah Strobel Hill)

PROVO — Protesters took to the street outside the IRS building in downtown Provo on Tuesday.

Many came to protest actions taken by the federal government in general. Some more specifically were responding to the recent IRS admission it harassed Tea Party groups and other conservatives while processing tax exemptions for certain non-profit organizations.

Linda, from Provo, wanted to create awareness of the federal governments actions for people in the area.

“We’re not sitting down anymore,” she said. “If we keep sitting down while the government keeps bowling over us and people don’t stand up, they’ll just keep going. We’ve got freedoms, and they’re just walking all over them.”

Wayne, who traveled from Orem to join this protest, made the trip because he wanted to protest that he felt the IRS actions may have cost conservatives the ability to win the 2012 Presidential Elections.

“That’s a big part of why I’m angry about it, because this tactic cost our country big time,” Wayne said. “Were going to lose so many more freedoms by having Obama as a president.”

Wayne, as well as some of the other protesters, wants the current administration to stand accountable for these actions.

The protest was not officially organized by any single group or party. Instead, individuals and small groups heard about the protest on the radio and through social media and decided to come to the Provo IRS building to join in.

Ethan, a Latin American Studies major from BYU, was one of the participants who found out about the protest through social media and took advantage of the opportunity to share his views.

“I heard about the protest via Facebook,” Ethan said. “I feel like it’s allowed me to express my opinion in a somewhat public way. There’s not too many people here, but it felt good to express my opinion, and I feel like we got enough attention. I feel like it was effective.”

This protest was an opportunity for some BYU students like Ethan to put into action what they are taught in school through classes like American Heritage.

“If you believe in a cause, stand up for it,” Ethan continued. “You don’t have to be crazy to protest, and it feels good to protest.”

Kalama, a BYU open major who grew up in Hawaii, felt this was a time to express important values and advice for BYU students.

“Follow your conscience,” Kalama said. “Don’t let the government overpower you and take your rights.”