Provo honors officers with ‘Police Week’

306

The Provo Police Department held its annual law enforcement memorial service May 13-18, honoring officers who lost their lives in the line of duty while serving local citizens.

Police Chief Rick Gregory gave warm praise for fellow officers at Monday’s ceremony.

Provo Officer's Command Staff at Police Week ceremony. Photo by:  Provo Police Department.
Provo Officer’s Command Staff at Police Week ceremony. Photo by: Provo Police Department.

“I am grateful that I work with men and women who are willing to lay down their lives for others. It was my privelege today to honor those who have,” he said. “Please take a minute to thank an officer for their service.”

Mayor John Curtis read his Proclamation to the City. In it he called upon all patriotic, civic and education organizations to observe the week of May 13-18, 2013,  as Police Week.
 Kaitlin Purse, a BYU PR major who completed her year as Miss Provo this month, concluded the ceremony by singing “Amazing Grace” as Sergeant Gary Carter from the Springville Police Department played the bagpipes.
“I am so tremendously grateful for moments like these that remind me that we are still truly one nation under God, founded on principles of duty and sacrifice,” Purse said. “I recommitted today to be the best citizen and patriot I can be.”