The floor is now yours

183

We all have opinions. Some express their opinions openly while others let them swirl around privately in their heads. Then there are those who best express their thoughts through the written word.

I always admired my younger sister because I always knew where she stood on issues, both on a small and large scale. She does not always share her opinions in the most gracious of ways, but I always looked up to her because she was confident enough to openly let you know what she thought. For instance, I know she hates the world “surreal.” I know, not a life-changing opinion, but you will know exactly how she feels about that word if you use it around her because she will tell you.

She also hates it when people pick on others. When she sees it, she stops it. She’s not scared to tell you exactly what she thinks of your behavior. And she will do it … to your face.

I am not as bold as my sister. I prefer to formulate my opinions by writing them down. I feel like I can get my point across in writing better than I can if I am trying to tell it to someone else. I also think writing an opinion and allowing others to read about it will enable my thoughts to reach more people than they could had I just told a friend how I was feeling. I also believe there are other people out there like me. They have opinions, good ones, and would rather spell them out.

That’s where I come in. I am going to be the new opinion editor for the Universe during the spring and summer terms. I am one of those people who finds it easier and more effective to share my opinion through writing. Right now we share our opinions with friends, family and classmates. However, I want to provide a voice for students and faculty to share what they care deeply about.

Mark Twain wrote that, “Our opinions do not really blossom into fruition until we have expressed them to someone else.”

That’s where you come in. BYU is an awesome university, no doubt about that. That being said, I know there are students who want to see a difference on campus; so write about it.

Maybe you hate it when professors give you a midterm the week before finals. Write about it.

Maybe you would like to see another entrance to the library. Write about it.

Maybe you want to see an escalator replace the death stairs that go from the Richards building up to campus. So, write about it.

Write about anything and everything. Odds are, there are other students who feel or have felt the same way as you.

Emily Dickinson once said, “I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word. Sometimes I write one, and I look at it, until it begins to shine.”

I want the opinion page to be the outlet to make your words shine. No matter how serious or silly the opinion, I want to hear what you have to say. Type it up and send your thoughts to me at .

Take advantage of the opportunity to share what you care about. Otherwise, you are going to be stuck with reading my opinions every single week. And who wants that? I don’t know, maybe you have an opinion about that. So, write about it.