Weekly five: Movies to see this semester

186

A new year brings a  new semester, new experiences, new friends and new movies. Hundreds of movies are produced every year and sometimes it can be challenging to pick the best ones to watch. Among the most anticipated movies of 2013, here are the top five to look out for.

1. ‘The Great Gatsby’

“The Great Gatsby” will be released on May 10, 2013. The director, Baz Luhrmann, is known for works such as “Moulin Rouge,” “Romeo + Juliet” and “Australia.” This film tells a Roaring Twenties story of millionaire Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) from the point of view of his neighbor, Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire). Based on the novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Luhrmann brings to the screen the all-time classic.

“I am very excited for this movie,” Nicole Lier, public relations student at UVU, said. “I read the book when I was younger and I loved it. The trailer looks really good, and Leonardo DiCaprio is an amazing actor.”

2. ’42’

The movie’s release date is April 12, 2013. Directed by Brian Helgeland, the movie tells the life story of Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) who became the first black Major League Baseball player and signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers under the guidance of team executive Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford).

3. ‘Mud’

“Mud” was directed by Jeff Nichols and will be released on April 17, 2013. The film is about two teenagers (Tye Sheridan and Jacob Lofland) who encounter a fugitive (Matthew McConaughey) on the run and promise to help him reunite with his true love. The movie was noticed during the Sundance Film Festival and gained extensive coverage from the media.

“I’ve heard about this movie from my friend,” Kristen Reese, UVU student majoring in psychology, said. “I thought that it sounds very interesting, so I’m really looking forward to it.”

4. ‘Amour’

“Amour” was first released in France on Dec. 12, 2012, and then made its way to movie theaters across the world. Directed by Austrian filmmaker and screenwriter Michael Haneke, the movie follows the life of an old couple (Jean-Loius Trintigant and Emmanuelle  Riva) who encounters a challenge that tests their love. The French movie has received five Oscar nominations, including best picture, best original screenplay, best director and best actress in a leading role. Emmanuelle Riva, age 85, is the oldest nominee for best actress in a leading role.

5. ‘Iron Man 3’

“Iron Man 3” is scheduled for release on April 25, 2013. Directed by Shane Black, the movie is a sequel to “Iron Man” and “Iron Man 2.” Billionaire, playboy and philanthropist Tony Starks (Robert Downey Jr.) finds his private live in ruins and in an attempt to find those responsible for it he faces a powerful enemy, the Mandarin.

“Robert Downey Jr. is my man crush,” Taylor Shumway, BYU student majoring in business, said. “I can’t wait for it.”