Pita Pit wants to feed the community for free

233

Healthy ingredients sizzled to perfection, and wrapped in a toasted pita … for free?

Pita Pit has embarked on a social media campaign, hoping to gain the most votes from the Provo community, but many students do not know of Pita Pit or its competition.

Deven Dharni, owner of the Pita Pit in Provo, explained the rules of this competition.

Deven Dharni serves Mason Mac his Pita. (Photo by Stacia Wahlgren)

“We are competing against all Pita Pit locations, and it’s down to 16 locations today, so we have a really good chance,” Dharni said. “You can vote once per day on corporate’s Facebook page, and if we win, we get to give free pitas to the community on our customer appreciation day. In addition, for every week you vote, you get entered into a drawing for free pitas for a year.”

Dharni said the store’s customer base is mainly students, and he explained the impact this could have on the community.

“We get about 100 students or so a day,” Dharni said. “If we won, it would be great for all the students, they would get a free lunch or dinner that day.”

Peter Riggs, vice president of brand promotion for Pita Pit, talked of the likihood of the Provo Pita Pit winning the competition.

“They have a good chance; they’ve had a good showing so far,” Riggs said.

Riggs also wants to encourage anyone to vote, whether they have been to Pita Pit or not.

“If you don’t feel like paying for a pita, go out and vote for the location and then come get a free one for the customer appreciation day,” Riggs said.

Tess Huntington, a sociology major at BYU, would tell anyone to come to Pita Pit.

“Give it a chance, I don’t try anything unless it’s rated good from someone I know, even if it’s rated well online,” Huntington said.

Amanda Christenson, a graduate student at BYU studying marriage and family therapy, expressed a possible reason for the Provo location not winning the competition.

Christensen had never been to Pita Pit before, but her friends recommended it to her because of its healthy vegetarian options.

“At Subway you can get a vegetarian sub, but it’s not as good as this,” Christenson said. “This has hash browns and eggs, it’s honestly so good.”

Mason Mac, a sophomore doing independent study at BYU, loves Pita Pit.

“It’s healthy, I’m big on healthy, and it’s the only place I know that I can get gyros,” Mac said. “It’s everything you want Subway to be, but it’s just not.”

Mac explained that it was his first time coming to the Provo location, and didn’t know about the competition.

“They just told me about that, but I didn’t know they were going to give free pitas to the community,” Mac said. “They told me about winning free pitas for a year.”

Even though Mac now knows about the competition, he probably won’t vote. He explained that he is too busy to find their facebook page. He also said he doubts that the Provo location will win.

“I think it’s cool, and I would love to do it, but I’ve got so much stuff going on,” Mac said. “The California location will win. That’s where I spent a year at college, and everybody ate there.”