BYU gymnastics outscores Utah State at home

108

BYU women’s gymnastics outscored Utah State University 194.075–189.425, with the Aggies team losing a player due to an injury in the first home meet of the season.

BYU led Utah State by .650 at the end of the first set, each team displaying great talent on the vault and bar. Eliane Kulczyk, a freshman from Quebec, Canada, opened the meet strong with 9.750 on bars for BYU. Utah State’s Paige Jones quickly matched Kulczyk’s score. BYU’s Madeline Nilsson also scored a 9.750 on bars for BYU. Megan Bain scored a 9.85 for BYU on the uneven bars, leading Utah State’s top scorer by .050.

In the next set, Michelle Yasukochi of Utah State could not land the first element of her floor routine, leaving the meet immediately. She had competed the first two events with a taped ankle.

The routine of the night was performed by Bain, scoring a startling 9.90 on the beam.

“I always do arm sets,” Bain said, when asked about her beam routine. “That’s what really prepares me and gets me mentally ready. We were expecting to have a really good meet this week; we had a really strong start last week.”

BYU coach Brad Cattermole stated in a press release this meet’s goal was to score above a 195. The Cougars fell just short, scoring 194.075, but it was enough to put the Aggies away.   

“We did okay. You never like to count a fall,” Cattermole said. “The ones who fell were freshman, they have to experience it a few times to get used to it. I was happy with the ones who scored really well. I thought on vault we competed a lot better than we scored. We are moving in the right direction. They are getting out there, working hard. Everyone is fighting through it, and I’m really proud of their attitudes.”

The gymnastics team will compete in the Texas Women’s Quad Meet on Jan. 19 in Denton, Texas.