Women’s basketball takes down Utah State

229

The BYU women’s basketball team’s bench stepped up against Utah State Tuesday to help lift the Cougars over the Aggies 81–77.

Sophomore guard Lexi Eaton took a blow to the knee after only six minutes of play time and was unable to remain in the game.

“Obviously it’s scary (to see Lexi go down),” senior guard Haley Steed said. “I know firsthand that knee injuries are no good. For our team to see Lexi go down like that is tough emotionally, and it’s difficult in the middle of the game like that to then refocus because she’s such a huge part of what we do, especially offensively.”

Having Eaton out for most of the game, and with junior center Jennifer Hamson unable to play due to volleyball obligations, other players saw more playing time and had to step up to fill Eaton’s and Hamson’s roles.

“I thought Ashley (Garfield) gave us a lot of opportunities getting some rebounds and getting us another chance,” Coach Jeff Judkins said. “I also saw some really good things from Kylie (Maeda), my point guard tonight. She’s going to be a really good player.”

Garfield led the team in rebounds, snatching up 16 boards in her 23 minutes of play.

“I was really happy that I was able to get in there and give our team some second-chance opportunities,” Garfield said. “(Coach Judkins) has talked to me about my role on this team, and it’s not offensive; it’s coming in, knowing the game plan, getting rebounds and playing solid defense.”

Haley Steed also played a solid game, recording her first double-double of the season. She scored 22 points and added 12 assists. On her third assist of the night, Steed also broke BYU’s record and became the all-time leader in career assists.

“Haley doesn’t want to lose,” Judkins said. “Experience and wanting it, all those things, is her great characteristic and you can’t teach that.”

BYU now looks to take on the University of Utah Saturday at 3 p.m. at the Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City.

Editor’s note: Lexi Eaton suffered a season-ending ACL injury to her right knee during Tuesday’s home game vs. Utah State.