And then there were leftovers

108

There is possibly no other time of the year that leaves the refrigerator packed with so many appetizing leftover options as the week after Thanksgiving.

According to Men’s Fitness Magazine, the average American consumes 3,000 calories over the course of his or her Thanksgiving meal. With all of that food going down, it’s hard to believe there could be more in the kitchen. Still Thanksgiving leftovers are an American culinary tradition perhaps as important as the holiday itself. In fact, many people look forward to the leftovers even more than the food.

McKay Lindsey, a sophomore at BYU, loves Thanksgiving leftovers because of their longevity.

“They’re the best,” Lindsey said. “In my family, Thanksgiving lasts a week because of the leftovers. And a lot of food tastes better the second day, in my opinion. I love the mashed potatoes and the turkey goes a long way too. I’ll be having turkey sandwiches for days after thanksgiving.”

Nick Mowes is a recent BYU grad. He has a familiar strategy to tackling the Thanksgiving meal remains.

“Well, there is always an abundance of leftover turkey and rolls, so I love to make turkey roll sandwiches and use the leftover gravy instead of mayo,” Mowes said. “There are usually very little dessert leftovers so I always am sad about that. When I feel really adventurous, I make a bigger sandwich that combines all the left overs, like stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey and gravy. That’s my Thanksgiving-leftovers guilty pleasure.”

Turkey sandwiches seem to be the most popular option and it could be largely due to Americans’ love for rolls, a food item preset on nearly every Thanksgiving table. Reid Gardner, a student hoping to study optometry, prefers rolls to the protein.

“Turkey dinner is not my favorite, especially if the Turkey is dry, that’s gross,” said Gardner. “Leftover turkey with cranberry sauce is tastiest. This past Thanksgiving I learned about putting mustard on your ham. Rolls are my favorite though, put the turkey, or anything on a roll and it’s a good idea.”

Although sandwiches are the most popular choice some leftover enthusiasts get a little more creative. Jeremy Warner, a recent graduate of the film program, has a different perspective than what is typical.

“I like to eat the turkey and sometimes I’ve made a taco with it,” Warner said.

Often though, after days of leftovers, it’s easy to kick whatever is left to the curb.

“I often forget about the leftovers and then throw them away a month later,” Warner said.