Rose announces end of Rogers’ career

86

Coach Dave Rose announced Wednesday before the blue and white scrimmage that Stephen Rogers will not be appearing any longer in a BYU basketball uniform.

[/media-credit] Stephen Rogers protects the ball against Utah State on Friday.
Rogers tore the meniscus in his right knee back in December of 2011. Unfortunately, the knee has not responded to treatment that required an additional trip under the knife in April.

In a press release, Rose discussed the loss.

“I feel terrible for Stephen and his family,” Rose said. “He worked hard all offseason with hopes of returning to practice and helping our team this season. Stephen has had a major impact on the success of our teams the last couple of years and will be missed.”

Rogers, who is in his senior year from Mesa, Ariz., plans to be the team’s number-one fan this year.

“I’ve enjoyed my experience at BYU, and I’m extremely grateful for all the support from family, friends and the fans,” Rogers said. “I look forward to supporting the team this season and doing what I can from the sidelines.”

Junior college transfer Agustin Ambrosin, sophomores Nate Austin and Josh Sharp will all seek to play a more important role in the forward position with Rogers gone.