Faculty piano recital featuring Scott Holden

170

Scott Holden can’t remember a time when he hasn’t played the piano. The Juilliard School of Music alumnus and BYU faculty member practices, performs and teaches as often as time permits. On Saturday, Oct. 27, he will perform yet again in a free faculty recital.

Holden considers piano to be an extension of who he is and said every time he performs he feels a direct connection to the composers who have created the works.

[media-credit name=”Scott Holden” align=”alignleft” width=”240″][/media-credit]”I have the chance to play music by some of my favorite composers,” Holden said. “The opportunity that I have to be their voice and try to get into their (brains) is an incredible thing. It’s a great gift and privilege that I have a chance to do that.”

Musicians, locals and BYU students from all majors are planning on attending the concert because of Holden’s musical expertise.

Becca Monroe, a senior studying human development, is attending the performance because of her love for music.

“I love music, and Scott Holden is an amazing musician,” Monroe said. “Even though I’m not a music major, I always make it a priority to attend instrumental concerts. I’ve never been disappointed by a BYU concert.”

Lois Childs, an Orem native, will attend the concert on Saturday evening.

“I enjoy the concerts that the BYU school of music offers,” Childs said. “It’s great to have BYU in our community so we can attend these free concerts.”

Along with teaching courses at the Juilliard School and Manhattan School of Music, Holden also performs with BYU’s American Piano Quartet. He has an active career as a soloist, chamber musician and teacher, and considers each role important and enjoyable.

“Teaching is incredibly satisfying, especially at the collegiate level,” Holden said. “However, if I was only teaching and not performing I would miss performing, and if I was only performing and not teaching I would miss (teaching).”

The program on Saturday night will begin with a piece by Schumann followed by the “Sonata in C Minor,” Hob. XVI: 20, L. 33 by Hayden and then “Etudes Tableaux Op. 39” by Rachmaninoff. Holden will then play “Musings … and a Waltz” by BYU faculty member Laurence Lowe.

Laurence Lowe, a professor in the school of music, composed a piece specifically for Holden.

“It is an honor to be playing a piece by BYU composer Larry Lowe,” Holden said. “The piece was written for me to perform.”

Holden will also perform excerpts from the “Parisian Suite” and “Surrealist Suite” by Vernon Duke. He will conclude the evening with “Evening Lit by the Burning Coals” and “Gardens in the Rain” by Debussy and “Chorale et Variations” by Dutilleux. Holden enjoys performing unique pieces that many classical music lovers haven’t heard.

“I like stylist variety, and I like pieces that are off the beaten path and aren’t so well known,” Holden said. “This program is for people with short attention spans, because there are a lot of dynamic short pieces.”

The piano recital will begin at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27, in the Madsen Recital Hall. Admission is free.