Word on the street: Homecoming excitement

137

Blue pancakes, football and a parade are all part of the BYU homecoming traditions that provide memories for students and alumni alike.

[media-credit id=3 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]Homecoming week consists of a variety of activities and events. A well-known tradition is Homecoming Spectacular where performing groups throughout campus share the BYU spirit through their talents.

“I really like the BYU spectacular,” said Katy Powell, a senior from South Jordan studying elementary education. “I really like Vocal Point, and I’m looking forward to seeing the other dancers and performers.”

Other students are looking forward to the free blue pancakes on the parade route.

“I don’t know a lot about the events,” said Jenna Van Wagenen, a freshman from Pleasant Grove. “But I heard about free pancakes along the parade route, which sounds fun.”

While the fun of homecoming is great for some students, others find it cumbersome to their day-to-day activities.

“I live at Stadium Terrace, so the football games are right there,” said Jessica Roundy, a senior from Ithaca, N.Y.  studying economics. “It’s crazy and really crowded, which makes my life a little harder.”

Even students who don’t know a lot about the details are planning on showing their school spirit.

“I’ll go to the football game,” said Alex Fransen a freshman from Rochester, Minn. studying biochemistry. “Once I know a little more of what is going on, I’m planning on going to several things.”

The BYU homecoming spirit even stretches across cultural borders. Jonathan Tomasini, a junior from Marsielle, France said he was excited when he found out about homecoming for the first time.

“It’s new to me, but it’s good to foster school spirit,” Tomasini said. “It’s fun when there are parties going on, and I like opportunities to celebrate and support the school.”

For more information about the homecoming events look at the calendar http://homecoming.byu.edu/.