BYU students benefit from owning motorcycles or motor scooters

793

Many BYU students living south of campus walk up a long, steep, mountainous hill every day to class, sweating and wishing they could park in A lot parking. Those with motorcycles and motor scooters do not have this problem.

Motorcycle and motor scooter owners say there are numerous reasons why two wheels for transportation are better than four.

Seth Chatterley, a 21-year-old from Laguna Niguel, Calif., majoring in business marketing, said his scooter, which he’s named Charleston, makes campus transportation easier. He prefers a scooter over a motorcycle because it’s cheaper than a motorcycle. Also, there are specific requirements for motorcycle ownership and licensing.

Sarah Hill

“If I want to go to the Richards Building for an intramural game and I don’t want to worry about parking, I hop on the moped and park in motorcycle parking,” Chatterley said.

In addition to parking, Chatterley said there are several other benefits to owning a motorcycle or scooter. Charleston has been the source of entertainment for several of Chatterley’s dates due to a lack of music system or speakers.

“We can’t listen to music, so we sing,” Chatterley said. “I prefer Natalie Cole’s ‘This Will Be.'”

Chatterley said his scooter allows him to show off his fun and interesting clothes.

“I wear an American flag helmet and I don’t have the fabric for a cape yet,” Chatterley said.

Carson Allen, a recent graduate of the Marriott School of Management’s finance program, says his motor scooter, a Milano Twist n’ Go, saved him money on gasoline during his time at BYU.

“The gas mileage is super cheap,” Allen said. “I spent five dollars to fill up my tank and it lasted two weeks.”

Michael Curry, a 23-year-old from Phoenix, Ariz., majoring in Latin American studies, said he believes scooters and motorcycles are the way to go. Curry said there are a couple hoops to go through in order to properly own these two-wheeled vehicles.

Curry said for his 200 cc engine motor scooter he had to get a motorcycle license and registration form. Curry also recommended researching brands and designs, whether that be in the scooter or motorcycle family. Curry bought a high-powered scooter engine with Chinese parts. He said some of the scooter parts can be hard to match if your motor scooter breaks down.

Kevin Harrison, a senior from San Diego, Calif., majoring in manufacturing engineering, said motorcycles allow people to be free.

“You kind of interact with the world in a way that you can’t in a car,” Harrison said.

He added that while there are benefits, people should be aware of the risks.

“A motorcycle is inherently dangerous and there is a risk involved, but there is also a great reward of enjoyment,” Harrison said. “You have to decide if the reward is worth the risk.”

Aaron Lutz, a Utah Valley University student from Bountiful, studying aviation, said there are some downsides to owning a motorcycle.

“Finding a place to put your motorcycle in complexes without motorcycle parking is complicated,” Lutz said. “My bike got towed once because of the parking situation.”

During the winter season, Lutz said if you don’t have a car, the situation can be a bit chilly.

“I had to use my motorcycle because my car broke down during the winter,” he said. “It was 20 degrees outside and awful. I had on three pairs of gloves and two jackets.”