Traveling abroad is a life-changing experience for some students

175

On Thursday, the Kennedy Center presented the International Programs Fair for students at the Marigold Quad east of the Kennedy Center.

The event included booths about the different programs offered all around the world. Both advisors and students who have already participated in the programs were at each booth to provide information for interested students.

Jenny Thorep, senior humanities major from Salt Lake City was one of the students who helped in facilitating the fair. Thorep, like many of the others who volunteered at fair, has already participated in an international study program. In the summer of 2011, Thorep did the London study abroad, and said it was a time in which she truly came to know herself.

“I discovered more about myself than I ever had,” Thorep said.

Like Thorep, some students attending the fair were also looking for opportunities to discover themselves.

Ari Jiayi Sun, a sophomore secondary education major from Shanghai, China, attended the fair hoping to find places she would like to study.

“I do not know what to do with my life right now so I just want to travel and figure it out,” Sun said.

[/media-credit] Students ask for information about study abroad programs
Another student that helped at the booths was Mitchell Mender, a junior studying philosophy from Lebanon, N.H., who did his study abroad in Brazil. Mender said his study abroad consisted of five weeks of class and an internship with two weeks of travel.

“It was the best two months of my college career,” Mender said.”… It was a good life experience and resume builder.”

Kendal Babbitt, a junior majoring in journalism from Morgan, Morgan County, also enjoyed her study abroad in Vienna during the Fall of 2011, and just like other students, she spoke of it as one of the more influential moments in her life.

“There’s not a day I don’t think of the Vienna experience,” Babbitt.

The Kennedy Center provides ample resources and opportunities for students to experience a semester abroad. More information regarding places to study, how to apply, scholarships and experiences from other students are available at kennedy.byu.edu/isp/.