The end of the road for the Cougars and Coach Law

184

It was an emotional day in the ball park  as the Cougars baseball team lost to Gonzaga 17-1, ending the season, Coach Vance Law’s career at BYU, and six seniors’ careers.

A storm delayed the game an hour but 816 fans stuck around to watch BYU’s final game of the season. Chase Frampton, Wes Guenther, Austin Hall, David Parry, Stephen Wells, and Alex Wolfe were honored before the game with their families.

“Today was not the way we wanted to go out for the seniors,” Law said, “The game started off badly with a lead off walk.”

BYU went through seven pitchers during the game and were not able to hold Gonzaga. Tyler Westensee took the loss for the team after pitching three innings. The Cougars gave up 10 runs in the third inning and could not recover.

This season was one of adversity, full of suspensions and injuries. Three of BYU’s top pitchers were suspended leaving the Cougars with a thin bull pen.

“This year was one of those strange years. If something could go wrong, it did,” Law said.

Mark Anderson, Chris Capper, and Chris Howard were all suspended for violating team rules and have been trying to come back to the team.

“I knew what was right. I probably wrote my fate by doing it, but it was the right thing to do,” Law said. “Unfortunately we are all paying for it. I hope they are able to come back.”

Looking back on the season, Coach Law only had one regret.

“I regret that three guys made a bad decision, I would have liked to see how the year played out with a full staff,” Law said.

With a final season record at 22-27 and 10-14 in West Coast Conference play, Law was still proud of the team continuing to compete all season and through every inning.

“We put in the time, we put in the effort, and to me that is a measure of success,” Law said.

Coach Vance Law ended his 13th season with the Cougars.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity I had to coach these young men,” Law said, “I hope that they left better men than they came through their association with us.”