Mother’s Day gifts ideas from BYU students

220

With Mother’s Day fast approaching, many students are quickly mailing out gifts to their mothers, aunts and grandmothers while others are struggling for ideas of how to show appreciation for the important women in their lives.

Although flowers and chocolate are traditional Mother’s Day gifts, students like Taylor Laughlin are getting more creative.

Laughlin, an advertising major from Ga., bought his mom an iPad because he knew it was on her wish list.

[media-credit id=273 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]
Hillary Millecam, BYU student and employee for BYU Bookstore Marketing, holding a bag of chocolate covered cinnemon bears from the bookstore fudge counter.
Employees of the BYU Bookstore, Celina Cortez from Texas and Katrina Jensen from Ariz., said the two most common student purchases this week have been Mother’s Day cards and fudge.

“It is interesting how much people spend on cards,” said Cortez. “But I don’t really know what I am getting for my mom yet.”

Cortez continued to say her mother enjoys books, charms for her bracelet and any kind of chocolate.

Jensen said, “I can think of a lot of things my mother would like better than a $7 card.”

Jensen bought her mother some clothing and gave it to her recently when she visited home.

For students not originally from Utah who have parents living out-of-state, traveling home for the weekend is not usually an option, so gifts to family members are mailed. When loved ones live far away, the nature of the gift often changes as well.

“I’m going to call her,” said Merrick Johnson, a BYU student from Fort Worth, Texas. “I’m giving a talk in church on Sunday and will call her and tell her about it.”

Johnson said his mother would prefer hearing about his Mother’s Day talk that is dedicated to her over receiving a tangible gift.

“If I could see her in person my gift would probably be something tangible,” he said.

Overall students said that they want their mothers to feel loved and appreciated all year long, but they also want to take this specific opportunity to express their gratitude for mothers on this national holiday.