Locks of Hair Mean Lots of Love

182

Service is about sharing: time, money, effort, even a smile. This Friday, students will have the opportunity to share something they are born with – hair.

The BYU chapter of Locks of Love, sponsored by the Center for Service and Learning, is hosting this semester’s hair donation event at the WSC Terrace on March 23, from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Locks of Love is a public nonprofit charity that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.

[media-credit name=”Jamison Metzger” align=”alignleft” width=”200″][/media-credit]
Maggie Hansen donates her hair to Locks of Love. This is her third time donating.
Aubrie Thomsen, a sophomore studying family and consumer science education, is a cancer survivor and volunteer for the event. At age 15, Thomsen was diagnosed with stage four cancer. She said the service is more than donating hair for wigs.

“I think others should join because it’s important for these chronically ill people to know that others do care about the illnesses they are dealing with and that others want to help,” Thomsen said.

The event will have a place where anyone can write cards to children fighting sickness. Vanesa Crowfoot, a program director at BYU Locks of Love, said by doing so volunteers can also serve those who may not desire a wig.

“We invite all to come and participate whether you can donate hair or not,” Crowfoot said. “There is a way at our event that you can help serve children in these circumstances.”

About 25 beauty professionals from the Paul Mitchell School will volunteer their time at the event. Judy Richards, admissions leader at Paul Mitchell, said the school has participated in the Locks of Love event for four years.

“I love knowing that we’re helping people that have lost their hair,” Richards said. “Hair is really important to us, I mean that’s what we do, that’s our livelihood, that’s what we’re into … and we can help them have a head of hair and make them feel great about themselves again, that really makes us happy.”

During the event, a couple of vocal artists, April Meservy and Jamie Hartley, will volunteer their voices to support the hair donors. Hartley, a BYU graduate in American studies, is an epidermolysis bullosa survivor and currently serves as president of United Survivors with EB.

“I really want to support Locks of Love because I have a skin condition that causes my hair to fall out and I have cancer,” Hartley said. “Both of these trials have brought me in contact with many who have also lost their hair … so I highly support the work they do to help others, because I know people personally who have benefited and I also know what it feels like to live with alopecia [hair loss].”