BYU Students throw DI Fashion Shows on University Ave.

226

In apartment 53, excitement is in the air as girls apply makeup, do their hair, and choose outfits to wear. To some, this would seem like a normal “getting ready for school” routine, but these girls are getting ready for something more. They are getting ready for a fashion show down University Avenue.

Roughly every month, Amanda Frey, Kendra Davis and Kaylie Stephens throw fashion shows on the sidewalk next to University Avenue wearing clothes purchased from Deseret Industries.

[easyembed field=”Photogallery”]”We have been doing fashion shows on University for about a semester and a half,” said Frey, a senior from Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Frey said she likes doing the shows with D.I. clothes because they are wild cards.

“With D.I. clothes, you never know what you are going to get,” Frey said. “So when you find gems, you have to show them off for everyone to see.”

Holding up a teal top she found, Stephens, a senior from Sandy studying psychology, said she feels people underestimate the clothes you can find at D.I.

“We do the fashion shows with clothes from D.I. to show people that you can find really good stuff there,” Stephens said. “Sometimes people forget that and only see the bad.”

[pullquote]”We do the fashion shows with clothes from D.I. to show people that you can find really good stuff there,” Stephens said. “Sometimes people forget that and only see the bad.”[/pullquote]

Although Stephens said she likes doing the fashion show with clothes from D.I., it can be difficult finding items that fit her body type.

“Since I’m small, it can be a struggle finding clothes from the D.I.,” Stephens said. “I may have to look harder, but I always find great stuff.”

Dressed in a coral top, Davis, a junior studying elementary education, said when they hold the fashion shows, she always looks for colorful things.

“I love colorful clothes,” Davis said. “Whenever we go to D.I. it makes me laugh because I just look for the brightest colors.”

Stephens said the location of the fashion show has always been University Avenue.

“University is the best because people stare,” Stephens said. “It is a prime location and people’s reactions are priceless.  We have even had cars honking before.”

Davis said she enjoys strutting her stuff on the mock runway.

[pullquote]”With D.I. clothes, you never know what you are going to get,” Frey said. “So when you find gems, you have to show them off for everyone to see.”[/pullquote]

“My favorite part is pretending University Avenue is our personal runway,” Davis said. “I usually don’t do things like that so it’s fun to do something out of character.”

Frey said they love changing their hair and makeup each time they have a show.

“We tend to change our hair or makeup depending on what we are wearing,” Frey said. “If I am wearing red accents and want to stand out, then I will wear red lipstick. If I’m going for a more sleek look, I will make my hair smooth and use golden eye shadows for my eyes.”

These women proved their dedication to their fashion shows by strutting in the snow on Sunday. Stephens said despite the weather, the show will always go on.

“We do the show whether it is sunny or snowing,” Stephens said. “It adds a different element to the show, but it doesn’t affect our clothes so there is no reason to postpone it.”

Frey recommended that everyone who enjoys a good deal should start shopping at D.I.

“It’s a good way to be fashionable and to save money,” Frey said. “It’s so much fun to go there with your friends, get creative and find fashionable pieces that fit your personal style.”