Letter: Accessible parking

90

I agree with “Parking predators” from 1/12, in that there is a low amount of spaces for students to park. I’m a junior now, live pretty far away from campus and need a vehicle to get to class.

When I was living on-campus, I didn’t bother having a car because most of the things I did were on campus anyway. But I saw that if I had owned a car, there would be a fight every time I wanted to park it. Yes, there are lots assigned for people to park, with a “decent” amount for the number of new residents. But the new lots are across campus, and even then there are a couple stipulations as to when they can be there. I believe his complaint wasn’t so much that he got a ticket; more that he wanted a spot decently close to the place he was calling home.

My own issue is that there are a limited number of close spots in general. More than once, I’ve come to campus and spent over half an hour, going from lot to lot, trying to find a parking spot. Where I’ve usually parked often has construction vehicles that take up student spots. By 9 a.m., even the lots north of the Marriott Center are full and still have multiple cars vying for a spot. It feels like an absurd waste of time.

MARSHALL BOWERMAN
Danville, Calif.