Viewpoint: The art of multi-tasking

96

We are Generation-Y. Y-ers. Yer. Whipper Snappers.

We’re the baby’s of the Baby Boomers, the Lost Generation.

We believe in technology. We believe in action. We believe in movie remakes of comic book series.

Though one word can hardly depict the epic nature of our flourishing generation, I dare to take a stab.

Multi-taskers.

Think I’m wrong? Email me yours.

Maybe you’ll find yourself featured on Thursday’s opinion page.

If you look up from this paper you’re reading, while checking text messages on your cell phone and finishing up that last-minute assignment before class starts in five minutes I’m sure you’ll notice your neighbor doing the same thing.

Multi-tasking has taken over our lives — but is this for the better?

Those against the act of multi-tasking have “proven” a mind can’t actually multi-task.

They claim the highly evolved mind of the Generation Y-er is unable to think of multiple things at a time, only able to quickly switch from one activity to the next.

They claim this shortens the already dwindling attention span and causes the Y-er to perform sub-par.

But, of course, you can’t trust years of scientific research performed by scientist with Ph.D.s and the like.

Obviously, we know our research papers written at 2 a.m. the day it’s due while blasting music and checking Facebook incessantly are just as good as the ones we write a week ahead in the library.

Aren’t they?

OK, maybe we make a few more mistakes, but it can’t b that noticeable if we start 2 write r term papers like we’re posting on r bff’s wall.

I’m sure our professor won’t notice.

Yet, chances are they will.

Maybe those Ph.D. earning scientists really do know what they’re talking about. Moreover, maybe we can learn from them.

(As a side note, contrary to popular belief, most Generation Y-ers have grown out of the stage where we believe we know everything. If you still do, please open the current pathophysiology textbook. You will be corrected.)

I realize this thought process comes at a bad time — with only seven full days left of school, chances are you, like me, have a lot to do in a little time.

You’ll be writing papers while reading textbooks with an assigned movie playing in the background.

You’ll be listening to Gregorian chants and checking scientific calculations while memorizing the inflorescence, spadix and botanical names of a myriad of flowers.

Once you get tired of that, you’ll be slamming down books, driving to In ‘n’ Out and scarfing down hamburgers in a vain attempt to ignore the pounding in your head — a precursor to it exploding from information overload.

But do not fear. You still have seven days — and that’s not including the weekends. In my years at school I’ve realized no one ever gets anything they’ve planned done on weekends anyway.

Maybe multi-tasking isn’t the best solution — but it is something we’ve trained ourselves to do.

It’s true you won’t do your best, but you can do surprisingly well — that’s if you start now and don’t wait until Dec. 7 to finish every project you have.

And while you’re multi-tasking don’t forget to email me your word for Generation Y to . I know you don’t have a lot of time, but I’m sure you can squeeze me in while you finish that paper mache sculpture of Brigham Young for your history of creativity project.

Allie McCoy is the opinion editor for The Daily Universe. This viewpoint represents her opinion and not necessarily that of The Daily Universe, BYU, its administration or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.