Letter: Thanksgiving rest

95

C

ongratulations Cougars — you’ve made it to Thanksgiving break.

If you’re still on campus, you’re one of the few who hasn’t skipped town to enjoy Thanksgiving holiday a little bit longer.

If you’re anything like me you’re sleep deprived and a little overwhelmed from trying to get a large amount of assignments done in a short amount of time.

Don’t worry, tired Cougar, you’re reward is here.

They say turkey has something in it to make you sleepy.

Sounds like you’ll be sleeping well for the next few days.

Though this break does not mark the end of the semester, you deserve a rest and your time has come.

You probably have things due next Monday and the following week, but focus more on the fact that you have nothing due tomorrow, or the next day, or the next.

If you do, I hope it’s extra credit.

It doesn’t matter when a teacher gives that gift — it’s welcomed with open arms.

Wake up and smell the gravy.

Eat mashed potatoes while being couch potatoes.

Remember the early bird gets the worm, but the late sleeper gets the turkey bird.

Whatever you do, make sure you take advantage of this half week off — it’s not going to get easier when you get back.

Though I’m not trying to be the old turkey, it’s a pattern I’ve come to expect.

I go home, get my rest, eat my fill and head back to school thinking I’ll be coasting to finals.

Let me tell you, I’ve never coasted.

It’s like the stress comes out of the woodwork.

Teachers start talking double time to catch up on their lectures.

Due dates for papers you’ve had since September sneak up on you with vengeance.

Large group projects that should take a month to complete are crammed into hours upon hours of work in a matter of weeks — or days.

It’s not going to be a picnic of sweet potatoes and cranberries when you get back.

Worst of all (though this might only be for someone with a high-humidity tolerance like me), when you get back the snow will have fallen.

Yes, we’re coming upon the time of eternal cold. The snow will not melt; the ice will remain.

So when I tell you to take a rest, please lend your ear.

Now, it isn’t all-bad like I’m trying to make it sound.

The last bit of the semester, while crazy, is still filled with winter wonders and happy friends.

There’s cocoa and candy canes, Christmas trees and lights — but we won’t talk about that until Friday.

Right now, there’s turkey. Turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and green bean casserole.

There’s a break from school, a break from life.

You’ll be with family, friends and — we can’t forget the third F — food.

One more reminder: be safe when you travel home.

Please don’t leave at midnight and drive across the country.

Please don’t pay more attention to your friends in the car than your wheels on the road.

Please don’t drive tired — your life is worth way more than a nights rest in a cheap hotel.

Say a prayer before you go, and drive safely.

Happy Thanksgiving Cougars.

I’m looking forward to seeing you back for the rest of the semester — but until then I have a goal to eat my weight in mashed potatoes.

Wish me luck.

Allie McCoy is the opinion editor for The Daily Universe. This viewpoint represents her opinion and not necessarily that of The Daily Universe, BYU, its administration or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.