Letter: Hard, not impossible

83

To the author of “Right to anger (11/8),” your point has weight in that we shouldn’t judge others quickly or harshly, but you fall prey to it too.

Not all of those protesting could find a job if they wished, but many could.

Take me, for example. I needed a job, so I got one. In searching for this job, I was offered two others.

There’s enough employment available I could be picky for good pay and flexible schedule.

Still going to school, I bought a house on less than $15,000 a year and no savings and rented it out at a small profit.

My wife started a booth at the farmer’s market.

I got myself apprenticed to a local tradesman and now am self-employed and make $40 per hour.

We’re now on schedule to make $30,000 this year. I’m still in school and only working part-time, have two kids, rent and a mortgage, but I’m doing just fine.

Most unemployed people I know only spend five hours a week or so looking.  Job-hunting should take at least 30 hours a week to be successful.

Still can’t find work? Make your own.

People who truly cannot find work are perhaps 4 percent, not 9 percent and certainly not 99 percent.

Statistically, we can’t all be the 1 percent, but we can expand that level of success to be 5 percent, 10 percent or more.

I think they are protesting because it’s hard, but it’s not impossible.

Danny Potter
Jonesboro, Ga.